Fasts didnt work, maybe excercise will?

Options
2»

Replies

• spottedlee
    Options
    Stop attacking the guy! He admitted that the fast was a bad idea, it's done! From what I've read he isn't planning on doing it again and seems to be reaching out for support in attempting weight loss in a HEALTHY manner! Good on him!
    Bless your heart.
  • raychill007
    raychill007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with above poster, he said fast is done, and he's looking for a new way to lose weight, we're supposed to be helping, not critisizing something that's already done - we don't all attack somebody when they say they binged, we say that they can start afresh, why isn't it the same in this case?! Weirdos, why did ye respond if you're not there to help.

Right, so well done on lasting 40 days with the fast, I can imagine it must have been a nightmare, but then it probably proved to you that a whole lifestyle change is what you need, not a quick fix. I do short term diets all the time when I need to lose weight quickly (eg the Dukan Diet that I'm currently on!) but it's not really a problem because I see results quickly (obviously not on the same scale as your fast) and even though it comes back on, it's kind of OK with me as long as the wedding/holiday/reunion is complete ;)

So, you said you need to start exercising, great, what are you planning on doing? Jogging is easy and complely free, definitely do the couch25k to begin with. It's to help brand new runners work up to running 5km in one go. It's a jog/walk plan - ppl calling it wogging on here - you can download an app to help you, or just follow the original program which is here -> http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    I used that to begin running and now I run half marathons comfortably, although slowly ;) Weight just melts off with running!
    Also if you can afford it, joining a gym is a brilliant idea, when you join you'll be given a run through of all the machines and how to use them and what they're for. That's what gym staff are there for, use them! They should give you some kind of tailored program to follow as well, it helps to have somebody tell you what to do, gyms can be daunting if you try to go it alone.

You've done 40 days of intensity and pain, try another 40 of eating a balanced diet (no processed foods, and staying below the calorie intake suggested by MFP) and working out. Bet you will see a wonderful difference!

Best of luck, I look forward to watching you on your journey and seeing the pounds being shed and the fitness levels improving!
  • velarneyraptor
    velarneyraptor Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Let's all try and get past the whole 40 day fast thing and focus on helping this guy lose/maintain weight in a sustainable way...
  • kellylara93
    Options
    Stop attacking the guy! He admitted that the fast was a bad idea, it's done! From what I've read he isn't planning on doing it again and seems to be reaching out for support in attempting weight loss in a HEALTHY manner! Good on him!

Exactly!

Were here to be supportive!

Good luck with your weight loss journey :)
  • thinkingthingirl
    thinkingthingirl Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm David and I am 22 years old.

few weeks ago, finished a 40 day water fast; only water and a powdered multivitamin for 40 days.

I went from 220lbs to 150lbs. Everyone thought I was gonna die but I didn't, once I started eating again, I gained like 30 lbs. I'm at 180lbs now.

I find it hard to eat when I should, and when I do, I get full quick. I'm figuring exercise is the correct way to do things, downloaded the app and looking to lose weight and be more responsible.

This place seems cool, I might stick around.

Edit: also, this is a weightloss beard, once I'm see significant weightloss that I'm happy with, I'll shave.

Well excersising and eating is a deffo more healthier way to lose weight. As my saying goes. Always Eat Less and Move More.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've watched videos on Youtube of people doing the 40 day water fast.. They all looked miserable.

Hope you're happy and smiling. =D
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    WOW! 60lbs in 40 days???? Yes you really wouldnt be able to maintain what you lost without exercise and diet, especially if once you start eating again, you start eating a high calorie amount immediately
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    WOW! 60lbs in 40 days???? Yes you really wouldnt be able to maintain what you lost without exercise and diet, especially if once you start eating again, you start eating a high calorie amount immediately

No, bad idea. Assuming the OP ie being genuine with his post, immediately jumping from a 40 day fast to eating a high calorie diet could be even more harmful than the fast (re-feeding syndrome).
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi David! Welcome to MFP. On a normal day this place is filled with very supportive people who can help keep you on track! I'm sure 90% or more of us have tried some crazy @$$ diets to lose weight fast and discovered that's not a healthy way to do things. However, here at MFP it's a lifestyle change that will help you get and keep a healthy body! So glad you found us! =)
  • david581c
    Options
    everyone here is great.

I'm not discouraged in the slightest, life is gnarly, if you look for others approval you'll never impress yourself.

It was a mistake, the fast, though it's understandable the dismay. it's not normal and everyone's entitled to their opinion.

one thing the fast taught me, it's to be patient, calm, cool, and collective.

this community is overall well intentioned, so thanks for having me.

I'm currently finding people to work out with, and its working. I feel happy and I suppose that's what matters.

A fast is a very controversial thing, results are based on the individual...I don't reccommend it though if someone want's to do it, I'm not gonna stop 'em.

I'm the martyr here, I just want to find peace in my own life and be happy.
  • 235INFidel
    235INFidel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow, a 40 day fast is amazing. Don't know how you did it. I'm currently trying Intermittent Fasting and it seems to be going well. I honestly think it's the easiest diet I've ever tried. I'm averaging about two pounds a week. Basically, I fast for 24 hours twice a week (not back to back). There are some hormonal benefits associated with it along with the obvious advantages of caloric restriction. There is some solid science behind it. There are several types of IF, but the one I've been following is called Eat-Stop-Eat (ESE). Google if you're interested. Should be a breeze for you lol.
  • babyfatz
    Options
    how long ago was your fast? and how are your eating habits now? i think you should slowly re-introduce food into your system.. like go veggies and fruits for a week first, then introduce fish the next week so that your body can adjust from no food to whole foods :)

i'm so amazed by your willpower. i'm also starting my water fast today but i only do 3-days at a time, never the full 40 days :)

exercise would also be useless if you don't watch what you eat or choose your food wisely :) u dont have to go full marathon mode, start with brisk walking for half an hour or so for a week.. a good training program is the c25k.. it starts really really light, doesn't overwork your muscles :)

good luck!
  • RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've done fasts, exercise routines, Mayo Clinic, Atkins, Herbal-life, Intermittent (every other day) fasting diet, 3-day diet, dexatrim, slim-fast, Deal-a-Meal and Windows by Richard Simmons... and they all failed for me. Exercise and counting calories has worked for 19 months. I started at 343 and am now 239. I am shooting for 190. I hope you find your lifestyle of exercise and diet here at myfitnesspal. Nice support here too. Friend me and I'll be glad to help. BTW, I'm David too, aka Dave. Lol