Eating out

Options
I almost dread going out to eat at just a regular (none chain) restaurant where there is no nutritional info. I guess just guesstimate the best you can??

Replies

• Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I usually just have the healthiest sounding option and log it as 800cals.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    whatever I choose I look up here and log it as the highest calorie one of whatever it is I can find.
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    ahh I know how you feel! But I pick what I'm ordering before I even go out so I know exactly how many calories it is going to be.
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    well first off, try looking it up in the database! MFP has quite a bit of restaurants in their database and you can also go on Calorieking and see if its on there! I always try to look it up ahead of time and try picking the best option ahead of time! otherwise ive pretty much been educated on what choices to pick from wherever I go! You can always pick healthier options on the menu!! Go for Grilled chicken.. anything Grilled, baked or broiled! stay away from fried foods and anything with heavy sauces! Stay away from sides such as french fries, onion rings etc.. I always substitute french fries for either a side salad or veggies for the side. and get Reduced or fat free dressings! try cutting out bread baskets or anything of that sort!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I would just log it as generic foods... It's better to be over in the diary and under in real life! ;-)
  • mdiaz0188
    mdiaz0188 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That is what I do as well, before I order I try to look up the same dish (whatever chain or brand) with the highest calorie count, to be on the safe side!
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i don't eat out too much anymore. i pack my own food around alot. i have a cute lunch bag, ice pac, and containers.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I try to pick the closest in the database or build my meal . . . like if you had a burrito . . . log each piece separately . . . i.e. large flour tortilla, 2 cups of refried beans, 1/2 cup cheese, etc.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • sunshinethompson
    sunshinethompson Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but I order the healthiest menu item and ask them to hold all salt and use only fat free dressing! Place all dressings on the side and I drink two glasses of water before my food arrives. I'm less likely to eat it all! I log it according to similiar meals in our database.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I try to find something in the database that close because sometimes on MFP just like in life you just have to give it your best guess and move on.
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    thx everyone, there was no option, it was steak and lobster just in our little hometown bar so no looking up restaurant info. I estimated the best I could, passed on the baked potato. Did have two drinks but ....