realization...

Options
hey there MFPers! i just want to confess....

i have been on mfp on and off for almost 14 months, and been on the weight loss journey for almost 2 years. with the loss of 32lbs, and now the gaining of 14, i am just NOW realizing that i have a food addition. in the begining, i had power, and could deny anything. but now, i guess with lack of motivation and a state of comfortabilty, i jus give in to any of my food cravings with no thought. i have been going through a tough few months partially because of medical/emotional reasons, but the rest is simply bc I have no desire. i love working out. i know this is a lifestyle rather than a quick fix, but i am seeing how hard it is for me to lose this weight because of what i put in my mouth.....
i know a lot of info. i am knowledgable on so much. with reading websites, to my favorite magazines like HERs muscle & fitness, or books, whatever it is i soak up this stuf like a sponge, i just LOVE IT!!! but i dont apply it to my life. its time to make a choice. i have always had on my profile quote "to get major results, you MUST make major changes".....so true.

i must not want it bad enough. :sad:
the bad enough to neglect starbucks.
the bad enough to precut, precook, premake.
the bad enough to not eat anything after 7pm or the bad enough to just SAY no.
or even the bad enough to bring your own snacks to people's houses so you dont miss a meal or prevent yourself from eating crap as they give you crazy looks or say indirective statements mocking you

this is a lifestyle, and honestly i have gotten lazy. i have given into my sinful cravings and i am paying for it. in every decision in life you make sacrifices. i's rather sacrifice the "taster" things in life to feel good, be healthy, loose weight, and look good. i just had to confess. thanks for listening :smile:

p.s. looking for good, encouraging, and be MDD (motivated, dedicated and determined) of MFP because LORD knows, i need more support and a kick in th butt even. ;)

Replies

• Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as being happy and HEALTHY feels!! You can do it! :)
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Take it one hour at a time. And those hours turn to days... Just make it your goal to do the best you can for that one hour, turn down your cravings for bad foods. If you can do that then you'll look back at it and be happy that you were strong enough to resist temptation. And if you really really gotta have what ever it is, then eat a small portion and work out a little longer. You say you love to work out so just do it a little extra to make up for some of the bad food decisions you make. Either way stay strong, you have support here. Good luck.
  • Music35Fly
    Music35Fly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You can do it ! I struggle as well and I think the time that goes into food prep can take time but is so worth it. It helps me so much when I plan my lunches for work. It is easier for me to turn down snacks and eating out if I already have a meal with me.
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    FYI you don't have to give up starbucks, they have some very good choices: their spinach, egg white, feta wrap is seriously a perfect low-calorie, high nutrition choice. That and a banana, and a grande skim latte (relatively harmless) make a hell of a tasty, nutritious, calorie wise breakfast or lunch.

They also have great stuff in those little platters, they have a "protein platter" that is a hard boiled egg, fruit, and maybe cheese and cracker? As I said a grande skim latte (NO sugar) has about only maybe 100 cals and you can shake a bit of chocolate powder in for taste. All of this stuff is in the MFP database, too.

Even their treats are great, they have these "little bites" things that are from 150-250 cals each and pretty tasty. The little salted caramel squares are amazing and I think they're 180?
  • velarneyraptor
    velarneyraptor Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    FYI you don't have to give up starbucks, they have some very good choices: their spinach, egg white, feta wrap is seriously a perfect low-calorie, high nutrition choice. That and a banana, and a grande skim latte (relatively harmless) make a hell of a tasty, nutritious, calorie wise breakfast or lunch.

They also have great stuff in those little platters, they have a "protein platter" that is a hard boiled egg, fruit, and maybe cheese and cracker? As I said a grande skim latte (NO sugar) has about only maybe 100 cals and you can shake a bit of chocolate powder in for taste. All of this stuff is in the MFP database, too.

Even their treats are great, they have these "little bites" things that are from 150-250 cals each and pretty tasty. The little salted caramel squares are amazing and I think they're 180?

^this - you don't have to give up everything, you just have to prepare in advance and eat smart :)
  • Fight2bFiT
    Fight2bFiT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone. it really has to do with jus making a choice and no matter what sticking it through. i can easily give into my crazings, but if i just resist, drink some water, i am sure i can do it. i did before, and i think i am more determined this time around.

thanks for the posts you guys!!!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    the bad enough to neglect starbucks.
    the bad enough to precut, precook, premake.
    the bad enough to not eat anything after 7pm or the bad enough to just SAY no.
    or even the bad enough to bring your own snacks to people's houses so you dont miss a meal or prevent yourself from eating crap as they give you crazy looks or say indirective statements mocking you

I don't do ANY of this. I go to starbucks (but now I get plain coffee or tea and put a good amount of nonfat milk in it to make it sweet - i hate artificial sweetener but most people like the sugar free vanilla so try that!)

I don't pre-cut, precook, or premake. I don't cook basically at ALL -- 1-3 meals a week at home, tops.

I eat after 7pm ALL the time (its a myth that eating after 7 makes you fat - eating too many calories makes you fat).

I don't take my own snacks around - I eat whats offered to me by taking small amounts, picking the healthier things and focusing on those, and using exercise calorie burns and pre-planning (eating lighter meals around a day I know i'm going to a party for example) to allow me to eat fairly normally when out with friends.

It sounds to me like you fail because you have too many rules that are irrelevant to what you actually need to do which is:

1) Log everything you put in your mouth. When you see those green numbers getting low or red numbers pop up you need to slow down and try not too eat too many more calories.

2) exercise - Go for a 30 minute walk 6x a week if that's all you can do. Make it a 45 minute walk if you can mnage it. Do it 3 times a week. Whatever. Go do some physical activity.

3) set realistic goals - 2 lbs a week is NOT realistic or healthy for most people.