evening pig out help

Options
I do really well thru the day m - f but then really struggle at night. I know its boredom/habit/loneliness noshing but I cant seem to stop.

I eat 6 smaller meals a day and am staying w/in (usually under) my calorie limits...until I lose my mind and do mindless snacking at night.

I drink about 10 glasses of water a day and stay away from diet drinks.

I'm a single mom and we're so busy with homework/housework etc that the nights fly and when they go to bed, its like over for me...I feel powerless.

HELP! Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to face this issue??

Replies

• TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I do really well thru the day m - f but then really struggle at night. I know its boredom/habit/loneliness noshing but I cant seem to stop.

I eat 6 smaller meals a day and am staying w/in (usually under) my calorie limits...until I lose my mind and do mindless snacking at night.

I'm a single mom and we're so busy with homework/housework etc that the nights fly and when they go to bed, its like over for me...I feel powerless.

• breezysoul
    breezysoul Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Once we put the kids to bed at 8:00, it seems like the perfect time to break out the snacks. I know this sounds dumb, but I've started brushing and flossing my teeth right after the kids go to bed. Flossing is another thing I've always wanted to do for myself, but never did. This way, I don't want to ruin my efforts by eating something. If I still need help, I chew sugarless gum or suck on a sugar-free vitamin c drop.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I chew gum
  • Coach2010
    Options
    Wow! I fully agree with Breezy's flossing technique! It does work...as I too don't want to ruin that work :happy:

After dinner, try a filler dessert like yogurt with granola with blueberries and strawberries. It's great!

Also, keep in mind that air popping popcorn works as a nice snack. I just made up in a shaker nutmeg, cinnamon, and whatever, to get around using butter...just put some type of oil or spray (PAM), and the spice holds well to the popcorn.

Hmmm, you may want to try chamomile tea too, as it calms me down, and helps to take the daily edge out as I decompress.

Lastly, stay clear of the kitchen. That's been my biggest help. Keep your back to it, and do what it takes to steer clear of it. Enjoy! :drinker:
  • MattySparky
    Options
    honestly, I've said this before and Ill say it again:

It all comes down to self control!

There are no magic tricks or gimmics that are going to make you not snack like crazy at night time, and trust me I love to snack! You name it I love it (but just dont do it anymore). You have to decide weather or not you really want this and what is more important? The late night snack? Or a life of healthy decisions where you can wake up each and every day, look in the mirror and be proud of what you see? The decision was easy for me, which is why I've managed to stick to my guns on this. It's not easy to have willpower, but nothing in life like this is easy. You dont need people giving you sympathy, you need supportive people telling you to toughen up and get the snacks out of the house (that's a huge part of the problem IMO is availability). Once you get a grip on this it gets easier, trust me... my wife is always eating candy and junk food but it doesn't even phase me anymore. She's one of those people who can eat whatever they want and not gain fat, but I know Im not like that and it's the little snacks and stuff that kill what we're trying to do here. Trust me you need to get harder on yourself and I know this from experience. Get rid of the junk in your cupboard first of all and tell yourself each and everyday like it's the first day "I will not snack tonight".
  • TuscanySun
    Options
    Thanks to all for your suggestions! I will try them all!

I especially like the flossing/brushing thing and the air popped pocorn thing.

Those are such good common sense ideas...THANK YOU!!!!
  • TuscanySun
    Options
    MattySparky ~
    Thanks for the butt kicking...I needed to hear it. I do want this and I am worth it so I'll keep at it.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    MattySparky ~
    Thanks for the butt kicking...I needed to hear it. I do want this and I am worth it so I'll keep at it.

I know you can do it, Im here for your support if you need it. I used to be the king of the late night snacks and I honestly think it's part of why Im making this happen! You can totally do it, it's nothing more than a simple "mind-over-matter" issue. If I can do it, anyone can. Its honestly along the same psychological lines of quitting smoking, which I've done many years ago.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I put my snacks into my diary first so I make sure i can have them at night. But all healthy, not junk. I personally?? Would take up crocheting or something to do with my hands. Til I get sleepy:wink: Or, just count in a bag of popcorn and nibble on it.

More later, have to power down so my landlord can fix my hotwater heater:) denise in OR

• TuscanySun
    Options
    MattySparky ~

I know you can do it, Im here for your support if you need it. I used to be the king of the late night snacks and I honestly think it's part of why Im making this happen! You can totally do it, it's nothing more than a simple "mind-over-matter" issue. If I can do it, anyone can. Its honestly along the same psychological lines of quitting smoking, which I've done many years ago.

Thanks....I quit smoking too...about 8 years ago. I dont know why I didnt think of equating the snaking to that. It is a psychological thing too. I'm so glad I found this site and found some support. I have alot to lose and I let it get in my head and defeat me....but I will stop that....because I must.

Thanks again!
  • TuscanySun
    Options
    I put my snacks into my diary first so I make sure i can have them at night. But all healthy, not junk. I personally?? Would take up crocheting or something to do with my hands. Til I get sleepy:wink: Or, just count in a bag of popcorn and nibble on it.

More later, have to power down so my landlord can fix my hotwater heater:) denise in OR

Thanks for the help. I do know how to crochet...maybe I'll take that up again. Everyone has been very helpful and I really appreciate it!