Thanksgiving - old tried fattening favs, or new healthier di

Options
StevLL
StevLL Posts: 921 Member
This year we are going to try and do a heathy T-day spread.
I usually use at least a lb of butter, or Chorizo to internally baste the turkey - This year I'm going to use a citrus brine (minus salt) and gook it with red rosemary and EVOO instead of dressing. (we'll do two one in the stove and then one in the smoker)

Instead of breen bean casserole - fresh green beans, touch of garlic, sliced almonds, sprinkled with fresh asiago and parmesan

Instead of Sweet potato with syrup and marshmellos - baked sliced sweet potatoes with a dusting of brown sugar

Instead of pan dripping gravy - seperate the broth and serve it clear.

Instead of stuffing loaded with more butter and turkey fat - Side Dressing with smaller amounts of butter and no fat drippings.

What is everyone else doing?

Replies

• lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am going to use this one day to eat what I want :)
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    your dog is beautiful :)
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I am going to use this one day to eat what I want :)

This since it is a holiday and one day a year to spend time with my family! But I won't go crazy just portions and moderations.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I made these last night and they are my new pumpkin pie :)
    I was really bored tonight and was craving pumpkin pie and that is how this came to be :) You will need wonton wrappers (i find mine in the produce section), pure pumpkin, fat free cool whip, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. After making this i realized that brown sugar may have tasted a little better :(
    heat oven to 350. Spray cupcake tin with spray and place wrappers in the tin. spray again and bake 6-7 minutes or until a light golden brown color.. let cool
    mix about 1/4 cup of pumpkin with a half a cup of cool whip.. keep beating until smooth.. Add sugar and pie spice until you are happy.. divide between cooled wonton shells and top it off with just a little clump of cool whip (if i had redi whip i would have given it a little squirt).. sprinkle top with cinnamon.. These things were seriously yummy :) Hope you enjoy!! calorie count is 150 for 4

6338228931_5334fd7ae6.jpg
    IMAG2197 by JamesonsMommy, on Flickr
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    We are doing a mix. Healthier turkey, healthier mashed potatoes, healthier gravy. Traditional biscuits, traditional pie, traditional stuffing. We've cut out a lot of the things we don't really like but we eat because they are there and we are keeping the veggie tray stocked.
  • mbb0301
    Options
    Since we go to familys for dinner, I don't have a choice in how its made, I'll just eat moderate portions and drinks LOTS of water.
  • caseysray
    caseysray Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't have much control over the food because we will be at my in-laws for turkey day. However, I do get to cook at least one dish so I will fix a healthy dish and then focus on my portions for the meal.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I'm going low fat, low sugar. I've got recipes for low fat, high fiber pumpkin pie and banana pudding. I'm doing gravy from a packet. No stuffing (which is fine, because I really don't like it all that much, lol). Baked sweet potatoes with light margarine and steamed broccoli.
  • afwife4811
    afwife4811 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    We are a military family so getting home to see our families is not going to happen this year (this is my first year, Joe's 14th) so we are getting together with 5 other military families to have Thanksgiving so I am sure we are going to have plenty of healthy and not so healthy choices. We are having one baked Turkey and Joe is going to deep fry one and he is going to attempt to smoke one this year. I am going to miss Thanksgiving with my birth family but I am excited to enjoy this day with my new military family.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    SWEET POTATOES with a TWIST.... Last year, I peeled and boiled the sweet potatoes then mashed them using 1/2 cup of orange juice after finely shredding some of the orange peel with a zester. Skip that brown sugar if you can; sweet potatoes do not need the extra sugar at all.

I sliced a bunch of oranges in half, scooped out the orange sections then put the mashed sweet potato mixture into the shells. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven until lightly browned on top (about 20-30 min. depending upon your oven).
  • kahlee2000
    Options
    I have started researching healthy alternatives to make for myself -- that way the family doesn't think I am being completely overboard.
  • AllAreStarStuff
    Options
    Ugh. I think I may just have to let Thanksgiving and Christmas be cheat days. I can't let go of my hedonist ways on those days.

Turkey: I have brined mine in the past and it comes out very tender and juicy. I don't let it brine as long as suggested so it isn't as salty. However, my traditional way to roast a chicken or turkey is to chop an onion or two into quarters, a carrot or two into thirds, and the same with some celery stalks. I salt and pepper the inside of the bird (not if it's brined), then stuff with the veggies and as many handfuls of fresh thyme, rosemary, and parsley I can cram in there. Seriously, with the herbs, more is more. It doesn't add any fat and the herbs flavor the meat and drippings. I'm thinking about cooking the turkey in parchment or a roaster with a lid. This way the skin won't get crunchy, so I won't be tempted to eat it. It makes me sad just thinking about it :)

Gravy: Scrape up drippings, pour into a cup and put in the freezer for a few minutes to congeal the fat. Skim it off. Put the drippings into a saucepan and just let it boil for several minutes until it's reduced and thickened. The flavor will be very, very intense, so only a very little is necessary on your plate. Or, after skimming off the fat, boil the drippings with some cornstarch mixed in water. It has a more gravy-like consistency and doesn't require the flour and fat of a roux.

Sweet potatoes: Sorry, I've got nothing. I adore mashed yams with plenty of butter, orange juice, spices, and marshmallows. I only get them once a year!
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I go to my parents for thanksgiving ... but I am just going to try not to over do it, like I usually would. lol. I don't think I am going to record what I eat on thanksgiving either. Too much to think about. I need a day to relax, and not be obsessed with how many calories I take in, and how much exercise I am getting. I have family coming in from out of town, and just want to enjoy the day.
  • Itsallbs15
    Itsallbs15 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    All vegetarian desserts (even though Im not vegetarian) and NO butter or milk. I will be using silk soy milk for the mashed potatoes just to make them mash and the turkey will be infused with cilantro, garlic and carrot juices then topped with a little olive oil to prevent burning and drying. Good luck with your dinner.
  • Jycooper
    Jycooper Posts: 195
    Options
    Going to my family's house for thanksgiving however I plan taking things that are healthier that I can eat, except for dessert.
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'll be cooking our traditional dinner but I will keep my portions much smaller than usual. As I've just had my life style changed and I've already have most of the food for our dinner, I'll cook like normal. By next year I hope I will have made the change enough to make personal changes for myself for Thanksgiving and all holidays.
  • StevLL
    Options
    I made these last night and they are my new pumpkin pie :)
    I was really bored tonight and was craving pumpkin pie and that is how this came to be :) You will need wonton wrappers (i find mine in the produce section), pure pumpkin, fat free cool whip, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. After making this i realized that brown sugar may have tasted a little better :(
    heat oven to 350. Spray cupcake tin with spray and place wrappers in the tin. spray again and bake 6-7 minutes or until a light golden brown color.. let cool
    mix about 1/4 cup of pumpkin with a half a cup of cool whip.. keep beating until smooth.. Add sugar and pie spice until you are happy.. divide between cooled wonton shells and top it off with just a little clump of cool whip (if i had redi whip i would have given it a little squirt).. sprinkle top with cinnamon.. These things were seriously yummy :) Hope you enjoy!! calorie count is 150 for 4

6338228931_5334fd7ae6.jpg
    IMAG2197 by JamesonsMommy, on Flickr

Cool thank you, those look awesome!
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Subbing mashed cauliflower/turnip for mashed potatoes.
    Free-range turkey (none of those salting additives that ButterBall uses).

Finally perfected my sugar free cranberry sauce.

2 cups cranberries
    1 honey crisp apple finely diced (1/4" dice)
    1/2 tablespoon orange peel
    1/2 teaspoon allspice
    1 cup of water (split into 2 portions
    1 packet of Truvia

Put 1/2 c water in a pan with all other ingredients (reserving 1/2 cup water). Cook over medium high for 10 minutes.. it should be getting a bit dry. Add the remaining water and stir. Add more Truvia if you like it a bit sweeter.
  • StevLL
    Options
    bump
  • SheRa1964
    Options
    Really awesome ideas. I'd like a lighter pumpkin pie if anyone has a recipe.