Getting back on the wagon

Options
So 2 yrs ago I lost 60 lbs....So happy :) and I have successfully kept it all off except for 5 lbs that seemed to have found me. But I know what those 5 lbs can turn into.

I am now working 40+ hours a week and not getting home until 7pm most nights. I am trying to monitor my diet again and I really need motivation. Its just to easy now to drive through the drive-through window and grab some food instead of cooking when I get home. This means eating much later than I should and then going to bed.

So what is worse, grabbing a burger at say 5:30, 6:00 pm or, eating a healthier meal at 7:00 or a bit later?

And excercising, I am on my feet most of the day running back and forth ( I work in a Dr's office as a check in nurse). Do I really need to excercise more?

And I am a Facebook junky, but would love to have more friends on here to leave FB behind and just come here to chit chat and have fun. So please friend me if you are a regular on here and need additional friends and support. :)

Replies

• Janice032557
    Janice032557 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting back on the program. I have had a bad couple of weeks and can't seem to get remotivated, but I find reading through some of these posts is helping me.

In response to "drive through' or "not to drive through" I find it so much easier to cook a couple of healthy meals on the weekend and alternate between the meals throughout the week.

Good luck to you.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i don't think it's necessarily bad to be eating a healthier meal later. i generally don't eat till 7 or 8 most nights.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Eating a healthier meal later won't hurt you. A burger once in awhile won't hurt you. But, I wouldn't make the drive thru an everyday thing. You could always cook a bunch of meals on Sunday and then freeze them. That way when you get home from work, you can just pop them in the microwave, heat them up and be good to go (healthy meal, but quick too!).

As for the exercise - you can do this two ways...

Set your activity level to active (I'm on my feet 4 days a week/9 hours a day and I have mine set to active). This way your work is already accounted for in your activity level. No need to log it.

OR

You can set yourself to sedentary, wear a monitor at work and log it.

But, don't set your activity level up AND log it. Choose one or you're doing yourself a disservice.

You don't HAVE to workout, but it will help with your overall health. :)
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hi! Feel free to add me as a friend!

I sometimes don't get hungry until 7pm or later. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it's not a feast! If you do go through the drive thru....grab better choices like a salad. There is no reason to have a burger unless you have room for it in your daily calorie count...but you know as well as I know a burger isn't all that healthy (because it tastes so darn good lol)

I do think we all need more exercise...I am in the same boat. I work 8-6 and don't get home until almost 7pm, take care of pets, go through mail, check email and then my fiance' comes home and we spend the rest of the night together talking and watching TV. So where is the time to exercise??

I am going to try to make time to exercise (house cleaning will just have to suffer) and get on that treadmill 30-40 minutes a night once I pull it out of the storage room.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    Probably could add exercise on your days off as you are busy at work. Make sure to eat throughout the day and have room for a light snack at five thirty and a heallthy meal at 7. Prepare some things on your weekend so you have things you just need to warm up. Even cooked patties you have frozen to warm up for a homemade burger.

You could add a 20 min HIIT workout three times a week. Half hour of strength training twice a week.
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    CROCK POTs can be very helpful. You get home to a warm meal -viola!
    Or on a day off, take a couple hours to bake chicken tenderloins, boil brown rice, chop veggies, toss salads and prepare meals for the week.
    Purchase some healthier prepackaged meals.
    Good Luck
  • emwaitexo
    Options
    It is healthy to a meal an hour before you go to bed, so lets say you go to bed around 10, you would stop eating at 9, so having a meal later is absolutely fine! And congrats on getting back on track :) That's what I'm doing, I started yesterday. I did lose weight 2 summers ago, maybe 20 pounds, but this time I'm making a life style change (I want to lose over 80 pounds) I'm 15, turning 16 in December, and weigh like 200 pounds :( A lot of stuff runs in my family so I'm doing it for health reasons too, and to look and feel better. I hope I reach my goal weight (140) !
    Good luck to you !
  • beth1284
    Options
    If you have to do fast food, get that book Eat This Not That. Really neat!
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you want fast food, do your calorie research before you go. It is possible to have a reasonably small calorie meal if you order the right things. Sometimes eating out is just a way of life, but if you work around it you'll be okay.

Also, can you pack a lunch AND a dinner, and just heat up the dinner before you leave the office?
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would also say eat a healthy meal later. I, for some weird reason, LOVE McDonalds cheeseburgers (the small kid ones), but just one of those is 300 calories! That is a lot of calories for something that won't really fill you up that much. Plus there is no fiber or anything good in them. Make yourself an amazing healthy meal later.

I have a blog that I write on from time to time with quick meal ideas. Feel free to check it out.
    http://freshfitnfabulous.blogspot.com/