DOMS - rest or run through the pain?

Options
Basically I just went out for day 2 of my couch to 5k plan, but had to stop after my 2nd run as my legs just would not carry me any further. I did my day 1 last Thursday, and although it was tough I got through it and felt great afterwards. But today I just really struggled. My legs simply ached so much following my last run that I could not go on. I noticed the aching whilst walking over to park in what should have been a 'brisk walk' and the aching in my legs meant I could only walk at an average pace. I did my first 60 second run and got through ok, and surprisingly I didn't feel as out of breath as I did on Thursday, so that was a pleasant surprise, but by my 2nd 60 second run the aching in my legs was so bad that I had to stop. Now I've got home and it's hurting to just walk into the kitchen or up and down the stairs as my legs ache so much.

I was thinking of trying again tonight and just trying to run through it, and stretching properly (I forgot to stretch when I just went out) or should I let my legs recover?

Replies

• ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Have you done anything like this before? are your legs still aching from Day 1 on Thursday? When i started C25K, I had never really done any physical exercise in the last 6+ years previous, and found my legs ached, for a day after for the first 2 weeks.

I left a day or 2 in between each run, to allow my muscles to repair and the aching to stop. However, if your still aching a week after, and with no other additional exercise your not used to doing, i would consult your doctor just to be sure. But most likely its that your not used to it. Since my early days in C25K, i now run 4 to 5 days a week between 5 and 12K and usually feel nothing the day after. C25K really works! Hope your able to get back on it and enjoy it as much as i did.