Wii vs Xbox Kinects

Has anyone compared the 2? We used to have the Wii BUT somehow a little boy thought it would be a good idea to put many discs in and it ruined the Wii. Now we are looking at getting another system. I am REALLY curious about the kinects and doing the JUST DANCE games and Zumba...any suggestions?

Replies

• MrsPeavley
    MrsPeavley Posts: 143 Member
    I have played both and bought the Wii bc it was cheaper... I wish now that I had waited and got the Xbox connect... Zumba is wayyy better on the xbox and so was the dancing games that I have played!
  • I would like to know the same. I have been debating between the two and can't make up my mind! I want to use it for workout purposes only. :) I keep hearing that the xbox / kinect are better though.

10879315.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • I have a Wii and I can't afford an Xbox, so I'm stuck with the Wii! I love my Wii because it has games like Wii Fit and as far as I know, the Xbox doesn't have a similar style game with the balance board. I love the idea of Xbox Kinect and all the games designed for it, so I vote Xbox.
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    I have had the Wii for a few years, had the Playstation III Move & finally purchased the Xbox Kinect 2 weeks ago. The Xbox Kinect is SO MUCH BETTER than the Wii & Playstation systems for these type of games. If you are going to get another system just spend the $$ on the Kinect. We got it at Best Buy in a bundle for $399 (larger GB unit w/ 2 games) and a $100 gift card so keep your eye out for great deals right now.

It is so nice to not have to strap on a controller to your leg or waist (Zumba, Wii Sports, etc) or hold one in your hand. I've been doing the Kinect Just Dance 3 and meant to get the Dance Central but I'll get that later. I have Zumba for the Wii but like I said I know it will be better on the Kinect. It doesn't seem like the Wii fully picks up all of your movements based on where the controller is.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    I have the Wii, my hubby is a big supporter of Nintendo (he's had every platform from the original). If you call Nintendo, they will repair your Wii for $50, that includes shipping and handling. I have a lot of the exercise games on it, and love it.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    I bought a kinect so I could play the michael jackson dance game. it's way too hard and I never play it. But for zumba it could be awesome! No controller is the reason I went with Kinect over the Wii.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Xbox Kinect is absolutely the way to go. There is very little comparison between the two. I have both and the Wii is sitting in a closet.

9114468.png
  • landlwoof
    landlwoof Posts: 46 Member
    I am so glad this was posted 'cause we're going to be getting one as a family gift for Christmas but have had a hard time deciding. We're mostly buying it as a family exercise tool we can do together. Our son is 5, though, so I was also hoping for something him and his friends would enjoy doing together. Does anyone have young kids ....... which one would be better that way. It seems like all his friends have Wii and they just take their controllers to eachother's houses.

Leah
    Mommy to sweetest little boy
    SW 226.8
    CW 220.8
    1st goal - 205 lbs by Dec.31
    2nd goal - 175 lbs by March 31
    3rd goal - 150 lbs by June 30
    Final Goal - 130 lbs by August 31
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    I prefer the Xbox kinect leaps and bounds over anything that requires you to buy and use accessories just to make the games work. With the kinect, once you have the Xbox, the kinect sensor, and the game, you're good to go. Want a new game? Just buy it and play, no other controllers necessary. That's nice. The Kinect sensor just watches your body movements to control the game. Less clutter in your home and no additional money to spend on extra gadgets. The technology is awesome. The games really get you moving, even the starter 'adventures' game that usually comes with the system. We have a 4 year old that loves to play, too - he does need a little guidance to stay in the zone where the sensor can track his movements, but he loves jumping around and playing with us.
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    @landlwoof - you need to do some research on it for the smaller kids because I don't know about the camera angles and all. My son is almost 12. The games together (Wii, PSIII or Xbox) are a blast!! I've had so much fun with my son doing them and he still enjoys getting up to dance with me. He might never admit it to his friends but it's nice for us.
  • I HAVE BOTH! I LOVE BOTH! The Kinect is amazing because you are the controller! Because of the technology it follws small child and our adult bodies WONDERFULLY and there are plenty interactive games for smaller kids! Try Carnival!! ITS A BLAST! My cousin loves Kinectimals! For you i suggest Dance Central 2! 1 is awesome but 2's multi player funtionality and pre synched workout routines give this game 5 stars!! Its so much fun its adictive!

The Wii Fit is a differant kind of fun. More of a low impact, take turns kind of fun. but fun! Its great for toning. While you are playing you'll be so invested in doing a good job that you wont recognize that you were toning till the next morning. It is also great because it tracks your weight so well and even works on carpet. The sensor has to be placced where smaller children and adults can point to it so multi player games may be hard for the 2 diff heights.
  • AJPTRF
    AJPTRF Posts: 24
    WOW! Thanks so much for all the replies! I think the Kinects is what we will go with!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Kinect is the best - and on the Kinect DanceCentral and Dance Central 2 are the best games right now (Seriously)

Also there's a new group for it on MFP and there are only 3 of us and I'm lonely in there so.
  • LAMypie
    LAMypie Posts: 127 Member
    Wii is geared more towards families traditionally, but with the Kinect, things have changed a bit for xbox. There is a ton more freedom with the Kinect because it follows all your movements, not just that of a controller. We have Dance Central, Kinect Sports, and Kinect Adventures, and Your Shape: Fitness Evolved. It is amazing how much of a workout you can get. Sports, and Adventures are good for kids, but there is also Kinectimals. A new version is out that has bears, the orgional has wild cats. Our friends 4 year old has played with it with no trouble at all. It really is fun for the whole family, and good exercise. The same friend has had a Wii for years and is looking to replace it with a Kinect, if that tells you anything!