Overheard

j_g4ever
j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
So Monday my family and I were at Applebees for my sons birthday and there were these two gals at another table really close to us and I over heard them talking about weight loss and how hard it is and how they don't like veggies and so on. After we were done eating I told my husband to take the kids and I will meet him in the parking lot in a min. I didn't know what to do but I did approch them and said that I had overheard them talking about weight loss and I know how they feel and how I found this wonderful weight loss website. I gave them the website and then my screen name. I hope I didn't offend them by "easdropping" but I wnated to let them know that they are not the only ones and there are wonderful people out there like MFP to help.

what do you guys think?? good move or not.

Replies

• j_g4ever
    So Monday my family and I were at Applebees for my sons birthday and there were these two gals at another table really close to us and I over heard them talking about weight loss and how hard it is and how they don't like veggies and so on. After we were done eating I told my husband to take the kids and I will meet him in the parking lot in a min. I didn't know what to do but I did approch them and said that I had overheard them talking about weight loss and I know how they feel and how I found this wonderful weight loss website. I gave them the website and then my screen name. I hope I didn't offend them by "easdropping" but I wnated to let them know that they are not the only ones and there are wonderful people out there like MFP to help.

• likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    I think if they reacted in a positive manner and was greatful...good move. If they are like some humans in society that are well..um...not so much...maybe you would have been better to leave a note with the waitress to pass along or something. Your heart is in the right place, but you know how some can be. I hope they join and send you a GREAT BIG THANK YOU :flowerforyou:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    i would have done it too. i cant shut up about how much i :heart: MFP!
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Brave move! How did they respond?

Memaw
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    i think its a positive move. besides sometimes you can't help but overhear people lol.
  • I would have LOVED if someone told me about this. I wouldn't have minded at all!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member

Sounds like it was a decision from your Heart:heart: how can that ever be wrong!:flowerforyou: :heart:

FC:heart:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    This summer/fall, I kept seeing the same couple at the park (a tiny park by my house), and finally, I stopped them during my jog one morning. I asked if they had been losing weight, and the woman said yes - about 20 lbs so far. I told them about my weight loss and MFP and gave them the website, too!!!

It took me a couple weeks to work up the nerve to talk to them about it, but they seemed really happy to talk! There's so many people on MFP (many who don't post), so I don't know if they ever joined. It's been a super cold and snowy winter and I joined a gym so I would have somewhere less icy to run...
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    I tell EVERYONE about MFP when I hear the words loose weight.. I wouldve too!
  • You did the right thing. GREAT ADVICE never hurts! :wink:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Spread the word, I say! Sometimes I want to wear a t-shirt! Maybe it should say, "Slender on the outside, Voluptuous on the Inside!"
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    I say good job! You did your good deed for the day. Your heart was in the right spot.

If they took it as a negative thing, then that is unfortunate because you meant well.

Sometimes people have no idea where to start and you helped them find that start.
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Fantastic advise:flowerforyou: :drinker: . I am sure you like myself and many others would not be offended to have someone offer to help with a problem :explode:
    Good on you, you may well get a message from these same people thanking :bigsmile: you for the introduction.

Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words for they become actions. Understand your actions for they become habits. Study your habits for they will become your character.
  • j_g4ever
    When I approched them I said Im sorry to butt in but I overhead you two talking about weight loss and I have been struggling with the same thing (after they just saw me eat a sunde :laugh: ) and they did seem ok with it. My husband was proud of me. Im normally not the person to approch people i just sit back until I get to know people so this was a BIG step for me but I want to help people and know that they can do it.
  • I think it was definitely a good thing to do. I will talk to anyone who will listen about MFP! I think I am trying to get everyone I know on here! :laugh:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    I think it was a good move. My son keeps telling me about one his co-workers that is "on a diet". I keep telling him that when she starts talking about being on a diet or trying to lose weight he should give her the MFP website address and tell her his mom recommends it. I don't think he will though. I probably would have done the same thing you did. :flowerforyou:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    You are much nicer than I. I don't tell co-workers about the site because I don't want them to see how much I come on the message boards. :embarassed:

I share the knowledge with them but not the actual web address. Oops!

Seriously, that was awesome of you to pass it on! :drinker:

If they are serious about it then they will be appreciative! :flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    I think it was a wonderful thing that you did. I hope that they will join this amazing site, I tell everyone who wants to know about my weight loss and how I am doing it about this site, it is just too good of a thing not to tell someone. Great job. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • denisebee
    denisebee Posts: 137 Member
    I am a myfitnesspal advocate....I tell every person I can about this great site. Pay it forward baby!!!!! If just one person can "GAIN" what I have from this site- (a new outlook on food, exercise, and everything in between) the worlds a better place! Good for you!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    You are much nicer than I. I don't tell co-workers about the site because I don't want them to see how much I come on the message boards. :embarassed:

I share the knowledge with them but not the actual web address. Oops!

Seriously, that was awesome of you to pass it on! :drinker:

If they are serious about it then they will be appreciative! :flowerforyou:

:laugh: :laugh: i am soooooo gonna get in trouble because i am on these board way too much! :blushing: