Burn them before you eat them!

Options
I think alot of people are missing out on an added benefit of cooking from scratch. Of course we all know that eating as clean as possible is best for you. We know preservatives are bad. But do you realize how many calories it takes to prepare and cook your food from scratch? Plus then there is the clean up! Even if you figure in "Rachel Ray's" 30 minute meals, plus a 30 minute clean up... (yes I clean up my mess afterwards) that's roughly an hour for 150 calories!

Now I don't usually count this as cardio (unless I have spent a day in the kitchen for a special event) but I do keep it in my mind at least if I've misjudged some measurement it's not so bad.

So if any of you are looking at pro's vs con's on preparing your food from scratch, add this to your pro's side!!!

Also check out my group "Foodies Unite" and see all our great food and share some of yours! We are always looking for new ideas!!!

Replies

• garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Not to mention all scratch cooking does not have to take a long time...I think that deters people too. I do scratch but a lot of it is faster because I don't have a lot of extra time. Or I do it on the weekends for the week!!!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I prefer to cook from scratch when I can. It's cheaper, and better for you.

And MFP actually has a listing for "cooking or food prep" for exercise, believe it or not!
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    BUMP! Great point :)