"Real" Eggs vs Egg Beaters?

Options
I find that the protein for breakfast keeps me going in the morning. Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on eggs vs egg beaters. The sodium in the egg beaters is kind of high and most meat added, makes it worse.

Replies

• 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Egg Beaters are eggs with chemicals. Just crack an egg!
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    When possible always go for the real whole food.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Real! Nothing compares to the 'real' nutrition and healthy factor in non 'jacked with' food. :) Keep it real and simple.
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I always use the real incredible edible egg. Now I sound like a commercial. sheesh
  • runiechica
    runiechica Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I try to go with real eggs...if you feel the need to cut back just take out the yolks (or even just have one yolk)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I try to go with real eggs...if you feel the need to cut back just take out the yolks (or even just have one yolk)

agreed
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Whole, real food! There are TONS of precious nutrients in egg yolks! And no-- contrary to popular belief, eggs do not raise cholesterol! Go for the real thing! :) And if you're worried about cals, eat one whole egg and two or three egg whites. There is no reason to buy egg beaters! :D Good luck!
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters are good on the convenience scale, but real eggs are always best! ;-)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters when in a HURRY and just plain eggs are best.
  • LunarDragoon
    LunarDragoon Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've read that Egg Beaters aren't as healthy, mostly because they're processed. If you're worried about cholesterol, cut back on your refined sugar--studies have shown that your body can produce enough cholesterol to fuel itself, even without any from meat, eggs, or milk, if it has enough high-glycemic carbs.
    So, white bread, white rice, white pasta, stuff with added sugar--are actually what is probably driving up our cholesterol so much. Eggs, somewhat, but not as much as you'd think.
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters are good on the convenience scale, but real eggs are always best! ;-)

If it's convience you're looking for, get the real eggs already scrambled. They are in a carton like egg beaters. We used them in the nursing home all the time. Real eggs with the convience of the egg beaters.
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Always go for the real. Anytime you go away from real you are usually adding sodium and other preservative chemicals that aren't good for you.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I go with real eggs....but I have 5 chicken : ) Home raised are the BEST!!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Soft boiled (mostly) for me! Saves calories and I can use a little Olive Oil else where during the day or even eat a couple of olives : D Also, as I've said before, I like organic eggs- much, much better taste (to me of course)
  • MarlaChandlerBarton
    Options
    My theory is eat the real thing. Don't eat the man made if you have a choice in it. Real eggs, if you eat eggs; Real butter, if you eat butter (better clog arteries naturally w/ butter instead of unnaturally w/margarine and what all's in that, is what I always say ). I think in the long run you would be much better.

I hope you don't mind me saying this: try to buy eggs that are a little more costly, but so worth it; Antibiotic Free, Hormone Free and not just "Cage Free", but "Free Roaming" Chicken eggs (gotta look a bit for these, not all stores carry them). But the chickens are allowed to run around free outside and not pinned up in little cages or large cages where they are packed in 4- 6 deep and peck each badly and a lot of times fatality! Makes for negative situation and stress - the chickens that roam free produce eggs without stress and negativity; and in MHO, makes a better egg to eat. These chickens have a more positive life and therefore produce delicious eggs.

Thanks!
  • mmppresenter
    Options
    I've read all your reply's thus far and do not see "Dr." or "Certifed Nutritionist" next to any of the names. I agree that "natural" foods are always the best choice, although we are all trying to lose weight our reasons could be different. If hight cholesterol is a MAJOR factor in your reason for the weight loss, check with your doctor. Be sure to tell him/her the quanitity of eggs you normally consume in an average week. The the doctor can guide you to the right decision.
  • mysticdaisy78
    Options
    Thank you all! I have been using eggbeaters forever....but after reading these post I agree that lower calories isn't always the best. Eggbeaters are now in the trash and going back to ole faithful=)
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Interesting that their chart doesn't show the sodium.

Thanks to all, I'm going to stop with the Egg beaters
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I have never heard of egg beaters and have no idea what they are, so my answer has to be eggs! :smile: