I have a new goal...and would love some help!

Options
Today is day 1 of working toward my new goal.

I began losing weight about 2 1/2 years ago with the main goal for improved health. My bad cholesterol was very high, good cholesterol was very low, and I weighed 168 lbs. (I'm 5'2")

Last year at this time I got another check-up. My doctor had declared that I met my goal of improving my health. I weighed a healthy 142 lbs and my cholesterol was in check. At that time I decided my next goal would be to run a half-marathon. I trained for several months, and then got injured. As I healed I continued to make the half-marathon my main goal.

I'm happy to say that I met that goal one week ago today. I finished my half at a weight of 127 lbs, and in great overall health. I am now fully recovered from the race, and ready to move forward again.

I want to be clear as I declare my next goal: I love my body, and how I look...but I think it could be improved. Therefore, my next goal is vanity. I don't feel that I need to lose weight per se, but I feel that I could lose some body fat and gain some muscle. It is very hard to do these two things simultaneously when you're in the healthy weight range (much easier to do when you're overweight and just starting a fitness regime, I know, I've been there). I have never been this small in my adult life, and am even smaller now than I was in high school....but I'm not very toned. I want to have an athletic look to me, and I want to maintain my curves. I do NOT want to be one of those super thin girls, I want a feminine, healthy, toned look. Oh, and flat abs would be great too!

I am asking all of you MFPers who have been able to achieve their vanity goals for support. I already have a personal trainer who is developing a workout plan tailored to my body (I've been working with him for months now, so he knows me well), and will be getting a check-up on Wednesday to be cleared to move ahead with this goal. I know that 80% of my efforts will need to happen nutritionally, which is an area where I need help. My weight and fitness disqualifies me from being able to access a nutritionist through my insurance plan.

I am asking for support, ideas, or feedback on what has helped others. I'd appreciate any help out there!

Replies