HUMMAS, HMMMM

Options
Hummas seems to be the trendy snack right now. I have tried 2 kinds so far. Pine Nuts and Roasted Garlic. I have spread it on rice cakes. It is okay, but not my go to snack.

Maybe I need something different to pair it with.

Please share your ideas.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Not everyone likes it. I love it, my husband hates it. It's not necessary for health or weight loss. Just eat something else.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    "I love a good humma!" -- Ted Kennedy
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Fresh vegetables.
  • shelbobi
    Options
    I've been eating it on my sandwiches and wraps as a replacement of mayo! There are many different kinds, sun-dried tomato is my favorite.
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Hummus. I love chickpeas in salads and soups but something about hummus I just don't like. I do love Wholly Guacamole though especially since it is now packaged in 100 calorie snack packs. I have it with baked tortilla chips and in my breakfast burrito which I make with egg beaters, Turkey sausage crumbles and salsa in a low card tortilla shell.
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    Are you buying it or making it? If you make it yourself you can change the taste substantially and it's VERY easy to make.
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Sabra Artichoke and Spinach Hummus! Yum!
  • rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I too love it with fresh veg or as a sandwich spread. Or if you can get away with it, it's THE BEST on warm pita or pita chips. Oh my god hummus I can eat it by the spoonful
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Are you buying it or making it? If you make it yourself you can change the taste substantially and it's VERY easy to make.

I purchased SABRA brand at WallyWorld.
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love hummus and have been a fan of it for years. I just made my first batch recently....soaked the chickpeas and peeled each one. When I took my first bite, I heard angels sing. Seriously...make it yourself sometime.
    That all said, my campus cafeteria has started selling hummus snack packs. It's hummus with little pretzel chips. A good filling snack or lunch.
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I dip my cauliflower in the roasted garlic and have come to love it more than the fatty ranch dressing I used to dip my cauliflower in. And I never thought anything could replace my love of Ranch :smile:

I have noticed a huge difference in taste between brands though. So far, the only one I've tried that I really like is the Sabra roasted garlic.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I pair hummus with Snyder's of Hanover Garden Vegetable or Plain pretzel chips or Crunchmaster Multi-Seed Crackers. YUM!
  • rlbohn
    Options
    I love Hummus! However, I have bought some really bad hummus and some really good hummus, so it's kind of hit or miss. I like to eat it with triscuits and carrots. It's also really good on a sandwich with vegetables like red pepper, cucumbers, spinach, etc.
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I love hummus!!

I went through a phase of eating lots of hummus-on crackers, carrot & celery sticks & I replaced butter with it in my filled rolls.

Only one problem with it though. After a few days I had TERRIBLE gas, I smelt so bad I couldn't even stand being around me. Not good when you work in retail lol

Now I eat it in moderation :smile:
  • 2kidzlater
    2kidzlater Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you have a trader joes they have really great hummus (chipolte, 3 layer and original). I like mine on baby carrots. It's also good on pita bread with lettuce tomatoe, olives and feta cheese. Still not so fattening. Good luck!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I use it as a dip for celery and carrots. You really have to like it. It is also good with olives and feta on top of cucumbers and tomato.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. They all sound yummy.

I read that you have to try something at least 4 times before you REALLY know if you like it or not. So, I will give it a chance.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like Tribe, they have all different flavors. I usually pair it with flatbread crackers or Triscuit crisp crackers, YUMMY!!!!!

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options

I love it with whole wheat honey pita that I've torn in half and popped in the toaster or it's really good on Wasa crispbread too. Veggies make a nice side dish for it, but I have to have some kind of whole grain item for the actual dipping part.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I think the Sabra Roasted garlic is the best. It is good on sandwiches, but mostly I eat it with crackers...wheat thins flatbread crackers are really yummy, and I also get the triscuts thin crisps.
    rice cakes are icky, and not as good for you as one would think -- very little nutritional value...