Please someone help me out...

I just had a heart stopping feeling, I never realized how someones unhealthy life style can effect others around you, and encourage them to think that eating they way you do is healthy. Im 1 of many children 6 of them being adopted, so we dont know everything about their family history specially medical. I just had my little sister whose only 12 weigh herself because I know shes heavy.... And I say heavy because calling her anything else is rude and disrepectful... I feel like my eating habbits and those of my familt have let them think that it is ok to eat like this and I dont know what to do... I want to get her on a low calorie diet as well but I cant seem to find any sites to help me. I promised her that I would do this with her and she wouldnt be alone but i dont know where to start, and im just shocked my DR has never mentioned this!

Ugh

Replies

• runiechica
    runiechica Posts: 180 Member
    I would talk to her doctor or dietitian for suggestions. I know weight loss looks different for kids. In the mean time I would start with the two basics. Eat less and move more. Start with one or both of those and do it with her.

11575603.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • aniwde
    aniwde Posts: 4 Member
    I agree, just go for a walk with her each day to start.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    The easiest thing for kids to start with is probably doing more exercise. Moving around of some kind, can be something fun... dancing around, playing, anything. Secondly, cut out sugary juices and soda. That is an easy way for children to cut out unnecessary calories right there.
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    I agree with the eat less move more motto. However, trying to stop a teen from eating everything thier friends do is next to impossible. Peer pressure is more of a motivater for teens than anything on this earth! Help her find activities with friends her age that will motiviate in a positive direction. It really dosn't matter what the family says or does when it comes to peer pressure.
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Whatever you do, DO NOT make her weight an issue! Make it about being healthy and eating things that are good for her.
    Do not even mention her weight. If you do, she is going to feel like something is wrong with her. That will make it worse.
    Is there anyway to do something fun and active with her? A sport of some kind?
    I would contact her doctor though, and see what is suggested.
    One of my sibling was a bit overweight and her pediatrician recommended cutting out all juice and soda from her diet. That seemed to help. We told her it was because they were not healthy for her not because she needed to lose weight.
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    being more active, aiming for less than 2 hours of screen time per day (including computers, video games, tv, etc), and not drinking calories (soda, juice, whole milk - drink 1% instead) is an excellent place to start. don't make a huge deal out of it, and try to make it fun! you guys are doing what you can to start living a healthy lifestyle. that's a wonderful thing and shouldn't be stressful. good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 340 Member
    My daughter is 12, and this is what we do ( she is a little overweight too):
    We focus on reading labels and looking at serving sizes. We talk about appropriate portions and what is "enough" food.
    We talk about healthy choices. Which is better, a bag of ritz bitz snack crackers, or an apple with some peanut butter?
    We also plan to have one small treat at least every other day. Since it's post halloween, she gets to pick a candy a day, usually around lunch.
    We get active together!!! We went running/walking the other morning, and it was a great way for us to chat about things, and get closer! We also spent time at the park the other day, etc.

Make it fun, make it informational, and emphasize the fact that its not a diet, its not that you think she is overweight, but that you want her and yourself to be healthy and you guys are going to do it together!!

We don't mention weight, but I was informed the other day that she had lost 5-6 lbs!! That has encouraged her (on her own) that eating right and getting active is the way to go!

Hope this helps!!
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    I can understand.... I have a 15yr that is on the road to becoming a bit healthier as well. First thing she needs is a doctors appointment. This ensures that there isn't anything wrong with her thyroid and it gets you advice on steps for her to shed some weight. Then cut out soda (or at least switch to diet), resist buying sugary snack to stock the cabinet and think more towards fresh fruits and veggies. But most of all, DO NOT LET HER GO BACK FOR SECONDS! especially at dinner time. Second helpings are just added calories that no one needs and it fills extra taste not hunger. I hope all the advice on here can ease some stress and point you in some right directions :)
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Alot of this has helped im going to set her up with a dr appt. because I want to do this the healthy way even if its both of us going to get a physical. She knows how much she weighs and i told her its not her fault and nothing i would get mad at her. being her older sister, makes it alittle easier to talk to her about it but its still hard. thank you everyone and I will let everyone know how things are going. thanks =)
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Whatever you do, DO NOT make her weight an issue! Make it about being healthy and eating things that are good for her.
    Do not even mention her weight. If you do, she is going to feel like something is wrong with her. That will make it worse.
    Is there anyway to do something fun and active with her? A sport of some kind?
    I would contact her doctor though, and see what is suggested.
    One of my sibling was a bit overweight and her pediatrician recommended cutting out all juice and soda from her diet. That seemed to help. We told her it was because they were not healthy for her not because she needed to lose weight.

I really like this^^ Kind, sensitive, supportive is the way to go.