treadmill vs outside running (and pasted 12 week program to

Options
2»

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

If you live in the Portland area I highly recommend the Portland marathon. It is an ideal first marathon and it happens every October. If that is a goal the marathon provides training plans and running groups in the area for all levels including those just starting out. It is easier to get outside when your meeting a group of people.

My first marathon was the Portland Marathon. The course was AWESOME! However, it rained, so freaking hard - apparently the worst rain they had ever (it was several years ago). I love the opportunity to run in Portland, it's super for the waterfront area and great outdoors running.

I'm running several halfs coming up and have had to so some of my training on the treadmill. Mainly because of days like today - 40 mph sustained winds - would make it unsafe for me. However, I just can't do more than an hour - I get bored too easily It also changes my running style and I get more sore. I figured out today that it's more difficult too I'm not used to air that is warm like indoors has.
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I struggle running on treadmills for several reasons:

-it's boring
    -the pace is TOO consistent. If I start to get tired, I have to push a button and slowly slow down, whereas if I'm outside I can just instantly slow down without thinking
    -it's boring
    -the mechanics of running are different. I used to play soccer, which is where all my running came from, and I had never run on a treadmill until I randomly tried one at the gym a couple months ago.
    -I just can't. I can't run for more than a mile on the dang thing

I thought I was the only one who couldn't run for longer distances on that dang thing! I don't know why, but I can do an easy 5-6 miles outside with varying jogging speed/walking, but once I get to around 2.5 miles on the treadmill I automatically start dreading every minute and can't do anymore. The only pro it had before was that I knew exactly how fast I was going, but now that I have an Android I use Edomondo or Runkeeper and viola, now I know how fast or slow I go outside too =)
  • faithog
    Options
    There are a few perks that come with the treadmill... 1. You can run inside during inclement weather. 2. You can run inside 24-7 without having to worry about safety (ie cars/ muggers/ etc). 3. Treadmills are easier on your joints. Running on the machine is more forgiving than pavement =)

All that being said, I still (personally) find the treadmill boring and run outside at all costs!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Iv only been running for 4 months now, but I only run outside.

Now its becoming winter i joined a week FREE pass at the gym for treadmill running during the cold months, and quite the FREE pass as i found treadmill running soooooo boring, even music didnt do anything for me lol I decided to suck it up and face the weather 4 times a week instead of my brain dropping out of my ear, also save me some money too. Plus there is nothing like the feeling of running from a savage stray dog lol you dont get experiences like that on the dreadmill.

also i would up the run time by and extra 30 seconds instead of a minute after week 4. Specially if your intending to run 3 days a week. If your going to run less than 3 days, up it by an additional 30s after week 6 or 7.