Lowering the fat in ground beef.

Options
Found this info interesting, I couldn't verify the exact numbers here, but some other sites including one from the Journal of the American Dietetic Assoc came close. I have typically drained my ground beef, but not the other steps. I can get the 70/30 or 75/25 ground beef at our commissary for literally half the price of the local grocery store brands of lean ground beef . Interesting FYI.....

www.hillbillyhousewife.com/reducedfatgroundbeef

Replies

• GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Found this info interesting, I couldn't verify the exact numbers here, but some other sites including one from the Journal of the American Dietetic Assoc came close. I have typically drained my ground beef, but not the other steps. I can get the 70/30 or 75/25 ground beef at our commissary for literally half the price of the local grocery store brands of lean ground beef . Interesting FYI.....

www.hillbillyhousewife.com/reducedfatgroundbeef
  • vonzo
    vonzo Posts: 161
    Options
    I love red meat and know it's not the healthiest, this will help me loads!

• lincolns
    Options
    Hmmm, that's interesting. :huh: Thanks for the info.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    so of course, what immediately springs to my mind is: what would happen if you cook, drain and rinse the lowest-fat ground beef? You would get SUPER-HAMBURGER!!!

Awesome.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I have always drained and rinsed my groundbeef. At least I am doing something right. :bigsmile:
  • RunningSteph
    Options
    I eat wild game which requires no draining :wink: