does running tone?

Options
I am slowly losing weight with running (outdoors and treadmill) and other cardio. My stomach is my main issue (damn stubborn fat!!) as my weight is within "normal" range now.

My sis in law says that running will burn fat which I know but will not tone. I thought running was a good toning exercise? I am thinking of adding in some weights at the gym anyway now

Replies

• goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Running really is not all that great. It certainly does not tone. Runners are not well toned people and have little muscle. Not that attractive or healthy. To tone, you need to lift weights or use strength bands or some sort of resistance.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Running is great cardio but really doesn't tone your muscles, unless you run uphill alot... everyone can benefit from strength training. Training with weights can improve your running and help protect you from injury. It also will help prevent muscle loss as you lose weight. www.runnersworld.com has some workouts on their website but you can't go wrong finding a good trainer.
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    your hunch is right. running is good at burning calories and strengthening your cardiovascular system as well as lowering your resting heart rate. however running does NOT tone. i know lots of runners who don't do any weight/resistance training and while they are all awesome at running, they are flabby.

resistance training is a must. weights are fine but don't forget that using your own body weight to train works awesome too (pushups, pull ups, lunches, crunches and leg lifts, etc)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Running really is not all that great. It certainly does not tone. Runners are not well toned people and have little muscle. Not that attractive or healthy. To tone, you need to lift weights or use strength bands or some sort of resistance.

Really? Where do you get your information to make such broad statements?

Your statements really made me laugh. I'd beg to differ that Runners are not well toned people and have little muscle. I'd take my "healthy" against anyone any day and prove just how danged healthy I am.

Please get your information correct please before posting some random broad statement. You're obviously not a runner. Your post is simply silly and ignorant.

But what do I know I'm apparently "unhealthy and unattractive" :)

I would disagree that running does not tone, you may not get as tone as you can be without it additional strength training, but it does tone.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    I think everyone is different and it depends where you run and how long. The difference I see in myself however is endurance, toned calves, and slimmer thighs. I still have to work on toning anywhere else!
  • nikki_fro
    nikki_fro Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for the replies.

mlb929 thankyou for that I was quite offended by that post too. I have seen runners that are certainly not flabby, unattractive etc!!

I am planning on adding in some stomach toming exercises too, and i use different machines for cardio at the gym.
  • Charlotte012
    Charlotte012 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for the replies.

mlb929 thankyou for that I was quite offended by that post too. I have seen runners that are certainly not flabby, unattractive etc!!

I am planning on adding in some stomach toming exercises too, and i use different machines for cardio at the gym.

I have to say I was offended with that comment too. Running has been an great toning exercice for me in particular leg-wise. My quads look better they never been.