FIBER

Options
Probably another daft question, but, is it bad to go over on your fiber? I've gone over by 5g today, not a huge amount I know but if it has adverse affects I'd rather know so as not to do it on a regular basis.

TIA:flowerforyou:

Replies

• vonzo
    vonzo Posts: 161
    Options
    Probably another daft question, but, is it bad to go over on your fiber? I've gone over by 5g today, not a huge amount I know but if it has adverse affects I'd rather know so as not to do it on a regular basis.

TIA:flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    That depends on your definition of bad. LOL!
  • vonzo
    Options
    That depends on your definition of bad. LOL!

I have IBS so need alot of help in that dept :embarassed: so that wouldn't be bad for me. Of course, that is if that's what you're referring to :embarassed:

Shall I throw down my shovel now and stop digging myself in deeper?
  • hdtoolgirl
    hdtoolgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You should eat about 25-30g a day. The calculator on here is generally set kinda low. Fiber aids with digestion and helps keep you regular. Make sure to drink lots of water with fiber rich foods or you'll get the farts! Esp. Fiber One Bars.
  • truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Going over a little bit on the fiber won't hurt. If you constantly eat WAY too much fiber, that causes some issues, but the little extra you ate today shouldn't be a problem! :)
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I think the MFP fiber level is lower than other people recommend. The general recommendation is 25g (correct if I'm wrong); I set mine at 30g
  • vonzo
    Options
    I was set at 14g and i'm at 19g. Thank you for your help everyone, Please ignore my toilet habbit post :embarassed: :laugh:
  • whidbeyweight
    whidbeyweight Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i would love to know what people are eating to up their fiber, i need more than double what most people need- any suggestions...
    but lots of water, or you'll get a headache
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    I have:

Fiber One Bars
    Whole Grain Tortillas with 7g Fiber
    I eat a lot of veggies.

Mostly its the tortillas for me though...lol-
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Women should be getting at least 25g of fiber per day while men should be getting at least 30 g per day.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    i would love to know what people are eating to up their fiber, i need more than double what most people need- any suggestions...
    but lots of water, or you'll get a headache

whole grains (fibre one cereal, whole grain breads, crackers and rice)
    fibrous fruits (like apples, pears, berries)
    fibrous veggies (like celery, carrots, bell peppers)
    even my popcorn habit has proven helpful in gettng enough fibre! :laugh:
  • weesel80
    weesel80 Posts: 186
    Options
    Fiber One Bran Cereal is actually pretty good. Paired with fat free skim is great! Pair with a piece of fruit and you are good to go!!:drinker:
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to hijack this thread but mine is set at 14 grams and I am 45 grams. I am not sure how bad that is but that is what it is today. I tend to go over every day. How bad is this and is there long term consequences?

My fiber came from shredded wheat, apple, veggies, and a Fiber One bar and beans in my homemade taco soup.
  • merch
    merch Posts: 8
    Options
    Fiber is very good for you - overdoing it may get you constipated, but really that just means you need to up your water intake as well.

I get fiber from whole fruits & veg, Kashi Go Lean every morning, nuts, whole grain for any bread items and the Fiber One granola bars (which aslo satisfy the sweet tooth and are my one over-processed indulgence - but they have 35% of RDV on fiber, so I figure it balances out).
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Fiber is very good for you - overdoing it may get you constipated, but really that just means you need to up your water intake as well.

I get fiber from whole fruits & veg, Kashi Go Lean every morning, nuts, whole grain for any bread items and the Fiber One granola bars (which aslo satisfy the sweet tooth and are my one over-processed indulgence - but they have 35% of RDV on fiber, so I figure it balances out).

Hello!!! That's my problem as we speak. Should I eat prunes? I'm nautious thinking about it-or what? I eat lots of fiber, but that's what you get when you eat well! I also drink lots of H2O. Help. My Mom said to stew the prunes. Is it gonna make me worse? I've never even tried one before.:embarassed: :sick:
  • merch
    merch Posts: 8
    Options
    Prunes aren't so bad, truly. Like a big juicy raisin. Stewed? Ooh I don't think I could do that, but straight out of the bag they are quite tasty. Don't be scared :)
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Brown rice, Quinoa, Whole grains all up your fibre. All Bran is great, half a cup has 10 g of fibre
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to see what your body can handle. I had severe GI issues a couple months ago and my GE put me on a low-residue diet...very little fiber. I've actually never felt better. I keep the minimum fiber in my diet to prevent diverticulitis, but up in the 20-30g I actually feel unwell. It's a very individual thing.
  • hfsmk
    hfsmk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been told by a GE doctor that too much fiber over a long period of time can lead to certain vitamin deficiencies, but that is is very, very rare for anyone to be in that position. He also said there are studies showing that the "recommended" of 25-30 is actually too low. Now, that was about 4 years ago, and with how things change, who knows what new studies are out there. :)

I get anywhere between 25-40 grams a day from fruit, veggies, and whole grains (bread, tortillas, quinoa, etc.) I don't have any gas or other issues.
  • agehr
    agehr Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You will soon findout!!! You are suppose to start slowly with the fiber and add gradually to see what your body can handle. When you sit on the pot all day, then you know you have eaten too much fiber.