Questioning my calories allowed in a day

Options
I am allowed 1,350 calories in a day. To me this number is pretty low considering my BMR is 1,756. Should I not go by what MFP has calculated and just go with the BMR minus 200 calories a day because I am trying to lose weight. NEED ADVICE

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    did you pick to lose 2lbs per week? If so then change it to 1lb
    you will get more calories
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    and i think ther'es an option to customize it for yourself and not per MFP numbers.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    The calorie limit you got is based on the amount you selected to lose a week.
  • jessashcher
    Options
    I put to lose 2 lbs. a week and my calories for the day are just 1200, but I have found that, that's more than enough for me, but I guess it depends on your body type and how fast you want to lose.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Another thing to remember is that MFP wants you to eat back the calories you burn in exercise, so if you do exercise your calories will be more than 1350.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you put in for your weight loss goals. It takes an approximate 400-500 kcal per day deficit to lose 1 lb per week depending on your current age and weight. You can up your daily calories but you will lose the weight more slowly.

9114468.png
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    they give you a high deficiency so that you can loose weight. if you were only deficient 200 calories a day, you'd hardly loose anything. i say at least try their suggestion. i'm only on 1200 a day... i've lost 8 lbs so far. i'm very pleased
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different in what actually works for them. What do you have your profile set at? Are you adding your daily exercise into your profile numbers? How many lbs loss weekly do you have your profile set at? Are you logging your exercise calories burned and are you eating them back? You really need to play around with your numbers to find what actually works for you. At least that's what I have done. Also another great tip is to get a HRM if you don't already have one. Buying a HRM made all the difference for me! :flowerforyou:

This link has great information on the MFP settings.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • kathyaslade
    kathyaslade Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating the 1450 that they want me to eat.... I got so used to starving my body and messing up my metabolism . I went to a dietician and she wanted me to eat more.. as long as I worked out 5 times a week she said i would lose she wanted me to eat over 1500?It is a mystery. I maintain but never lose anymore...Do you have a local dietician in the area to talk to?
  • kathyaslade
    kathyaslade Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean I have been here 130n days lost 12 ish... eat 900 to 1300 a day...thats all I want! can not lose...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean I have been here 130n days lost 12 ish... eat 900 to 1300 a day...thats all I want! can not lose...

I was doing this when I joined this site. People told me to up my calories so I had a little faith and just did it-- added some more calorie dense foods like peanut butter-- and at first I gained a couple of pounds but then started losing consistently. If your dietician is telling you to eat more, I'd listen.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I am allowed 1,350 calories in a day. To me this number is pretty low considering my BMR is 1,756. Should I not go by what MFP has calculated and just go with the BMR minus 200 calories a day because I am trying to lose weight. NEED ADVICE
    500 Calories a day deficit is 1lb a week.
    1000 Calories is 2lb a week.
    From what you have posted. I'm guessing you have it set to 1lbs a week weight loss. If this isn't a feasible calorie intake, adjust it to a different goal, or do a custom one.