Numb feet on stationary bike

Options
Once I ride the stationary bike about 5 miles the balls of my feet and my toes start getting numb. Does anyone else have this problem? Am I doing something wrong? Just curious.

Replies

• Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I have this problem on elliptical machines. I have no answer for you, but you are not alone.
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Same problem here as well as it happens to me on the elliptical. My trainer says this is a common complaint even for her fit clients.
  • OSUloulou
    OSUloulou Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also have the same problem on the elliptical machine. I have been told it is poor fitting shoes, but I have no idea if that is true!
  • OSUloulou
    OSUloulou Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also have the same problem on the elliptical machine. I have been told it is poor fitting shoes, but I have no idea if that is true!
  • dia705
    dia705 Posts: 43
    Options
    My trainer told me when this happens it means you need to adjust your seat and such. I have it happen from time to time so I stand up for a moment and pedal to get my blood flowing right again and if you're hitting a nerve give it a second. Same thing happens on the elliptical and I realign my stance. A lot of times I'll notice I'm putting more pressure on the outside of my feet and not so centered.
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It's been happening to me on my cross trainer too. I just stop for a minute and shake my legs until everything feels normal again. Doesn't last long though.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Your shoes laces may be too tight. Your seat may also need to be adjusted.
  • kiawya
    kiawya Posts: 73
    Options
    Happens to me on the elliptical. I loosened my shoes a bit, that seems to help. Doing more warm ups helps me too. Its pretty common though.
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This happens to me with every machine. I don't know why but you aren't alone, I am going to ask my doctor about it next visit. I sometimes wonder if it is neuropothy (nerve damage)? I wear heels all the time.
  • DanielleDavids
    DanielleDavids Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hmm... there are a few possible explanations with the stationary bike:

- Loosen the laces on your shoes
    -If the bike has pedal straps, loosen the straps.
    -Adjust your position on the seat in case you are pushing on any nerves
    - Adjust the angle/height of your seat
    - Make sure you aren't pointing your toes, your feet should be flat and your pedal strokes should be nice and round. Try to think of driving up with your knees instead of pushing down with your feet.

If the problem persists ask your trainer or your doctor.

Those are my suggestions! I'm not a fitness professional or anything, but I do a LOT of spin and I've had the numb toes thing in the past. :)

Danielle
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Workout on a stationary bike since my ankle injury last June. Great suggestions already, only thing I would add is to make sure your shoes are not too tight and are good quality. Even on a bike your feet will swell when they get hot.

Happy cycling!
  • baybear14
    baybear14 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yep, happens to me on my elliptical. Usually loosen my shoelaces and do a few reps backwards until it goes away.