Athlete's hypothermia?

Options
Alright folks, I did my fair share of Googling before I posted this topic (I try not to annoy people with stupid questions) however, I can't find a suitable answer.

I always have experienced a feeling of being cold after a work-out, but today it was very noticeable. I was wearing a hoodie and my winter jacket and I was shivering like crazy! (It's in the 60s here, so it wasn't bad out).

I've heard that marathon runners run into the same issue, but sometimes they get to the point where they need to be hospitalized. I've read it happens when you haven't consumer enough calories to sustain the burn, but there's nothing to support that. Do you think this has to do with my blood pressure or...what? I can't find much about it...

Replies

• sryan8408
    Options
    I have no idea. I'd call and talk to your doctor about it.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me after many long runs, in the house fully clothed. I have no idea what causes it, or how to prevent it.

I'll be checking back to see if anyone knows.
  • JessiC1984
    JessiC1984 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't get ridiculously cold, but I have noticed after I run I need a sweater and some fuzzy socks and I shiver a bit. I think a doc's the only way we'll get a staright answer.
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I've had this a number of times, usually just in the colder months. It usually only happens after a long run. After I've stopped my body temperature really drops and I have to make sure I've got really warm layers to put on after. (And I seem to wear more layers than most people I run with anyway!) I don't necessarily know why it happens, I think it's just you're body processing and readjusting. I don't think it's anything to be too worried about, just be prepared with warm layers.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    me too, I don't know why. But I do love the hot shower when I get home!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    a hot drink and a hot shower always help. I've felt that way after a few long runs, to the point where my fingertips are white and numb despite dressing appropriately for the climate. By the end of the shower my fingertips are always healthy and pink :)
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    If you're sweating, then you stop exercising, your body cools down...of course you're going to get cold.

I ran a marathon last weekend and ran into it big time. Grabbed my heat sheet, and went straight to the gear check to get my extra layers. Same thing happened for my half yesterday.

Basically, it's completely normal, just make sure you have extra layers and re-hydrate yourself. It's not exclusive to runners, happens when I go to the gym and then walk home as well.
  • lobo2
    lobo2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I also had this problem when I was working out very intensely. A few hours after a tough workout I would get really cold and just could not warm up. I did a little internet research and there were suggestions on a runner's forum to have juice or drink chocolate milk right after a hard workout. I tried that and it seemed to work for me. I agree with the others that you should talk to your doctor about it though.