Anyone tried fasting?

Options
I know a lot of times it is unhealthy, so I rarely do it. But sometimes it is nice the day before a big event. It almost feels cleansing. So, I know this is kinda gross, but when I fast, i feel like my breath smells and my mouth tastes weird. Sometimes even after I brush my teeth. Does this happen to anyone else? I don't know what it would be from, its not like I'm eating garlic and onions!

Replies

• gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I've lost 14lbs in a week with fasting (haha took me three weeks on mfp).... had same odors you have but I don't recommend it for weightlosss cuz your metabolism drops and when you end the fast you binge badly so the combo usually ends up in more weight gained than before the fast.... plus I didn't like feeling depressed/tired/weak all the time.... running and eating healthy has been much more enjoyable and I know the weight will stay off longer.

Oh and he odors are from your body starting to break down ketones derived from fat...
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I did a six day juice fast and lost 3 inches off my waist and 10 lbs. Didn't gain it back after I started eating again, so it turned out great. ^_^
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I do a 24 hour fast once a month, for spiritual reasons. I do find I need to brush my teeth frequently or it gets smelly, and I do feel very good after the fasting period - it gives your organs a rest, and if you have issues with Insulin Resistance (as I do) it also improves your Insulin sensitivity.

Due to the relatively short duration of my fasts, I have never had the problem of binge eating afterwards.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried fasting?

No. Why would I do that when following the recommendations of MFP works perfectly well AND is healthy?
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The smells are from your stomach digesting nothing. You have to be taking in some sort of nutrition though, I recommend the fresh juice diet... that uses some odd ingredients, but you feel SO energized..
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    I think I hinged because I did straight water.... I also did 3 day no water/food fast that led me to go on an alcohol binge.... its not that you're hungry during these fasts its just you miss the stimulation of taste... so maybe a juice fast is doable!
  • not total fasting, been on juices for 4 days. It was at a clinic type place. All juices were made for me and I felt great. lost weight and it never went back on. Would recommend to anyone, but only if done properly.
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think I depends on frequency and why you are doing it. There have actually been some studies on religious fasting and it having some health benefits. This usually involves fasting once a month. Religious fast sometimes permit limited quantities of food or only at specific times with increased meditation.
    I think if you want to decrease your calories the day before a big feast, this might not be a horrible idea but I wouldn't completely fast. Maybe only eat 50-80% of your normal calories. I think an even better idea is to strive to practice portion control during huge meals. Then begin a new tradition of starting a long walk after the meal is over. Allowing yourself to go over your calorie limit once in a while is okay. And it will help you learn how to live once you go off the diet.
    Sorry for the long post.
  • 235INFidel
    235INFidel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Eat-Stop-Eat which is a form of Intermittent Fasting. I fast for 24 hours twice a week (not back to back). For example, I had dinner around 6:00 tonight, so I won't take in any calories again until 6:00 tomorrow night (I never go a single "day" without food). So far so good. I've lost about 20 lbs. over 9 weeks. It's honestly the easiest diet I've ever tried. The first few fasts were tough, but they really don't phase me anymore. Actually, it's kind of nice not to worry about calories for a little while. There is some solid science behind it, and some of the supposed benefits are:

• Decreased body fat & body weight
    • Maintenance of skeletal muscle mass
    • Decreased blood glucose levels
    • Decreased insulin levels & increased insulin sensitivity
    • Increased lipolysis & fat oxidation
    • Increased Uncoupling Protein 3 mRNA
    • Increased norepinephrine & epinephrine levels
    • Increased Glucagon levels
    • Increased growth hormone levels
    • Decreased food related stress

Haven't read all the science behind it, so I don't want to pass this on as doctrine. Pretty interesting stuff though. Just something to think about.

Haven't noticed any stinky breath, but maybe others around me have lol. I'll be sure to ask.
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is like low-cal diet - just pattern meals by days instead of hours haha
    I've been doing Eat-Stop-Eat which is a form of Intermittent Fasting. I fast for 24 hours twice a week (not back to back). For example, I had dinner around 6:00 tonight, so I won't take in any calories again until 6:00 tomorrow night (I never go a single "day" without food). So far so good. I've lost about 20 lbs. over 9 weeks. It's honestly the easiest diet I've ever tried. The first few fasts were tough, but they really don't phase me anymore. Actually, it's kind of nice not to worry about calories for a little while. There is some solid science behind it, and some of the supposed benefits are:

• Decreased body fat & body weight
    • Maintenance of skeletal muscle mass
    • Decreased blood glucose levels
    • Decreased insulin levels & increased insulin sensitivity
    • Increased lipolysis & fat oxidation
    • Increased Uncoupling Protein 3 mRNA
    • Increased norepinephrine & epinephrine levels
    • Increased Glucagon levels
    • Increased growth hormone levels
    • Decreased food related stress

Haven't read all the science behind it, so I don't want to pass this on as doctrine. Pretty interesting stuff though. Just something to think about.

Haven't noticed any stinky breath, but maybe others around me have lol. I'll be sure to ask.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I did a four hour fast after breakfast this morning. I was miserable the whole time, and didn't lose a single pound! Totally didn't work for me.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I did a four hour fast after breakfast this morning. I was miserable the whole time, and didn't lose a single pound! Totally didn't work for me.

Lol

Lean gains if for me
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    lol...fasting isnt unhealthy. but i wont go into it.
    It also wont slow your metabalism overnight. it doesnt work like that :smile:

you all fast every day. its called sleeping.

Personally, Intermittent faster myself. Leangains style.

:wink:
  • pianokeyteeth
    Options
    The taste in your mouth is probably from ketosis, just sayin'.
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    When you get old enough like around 50 a dr will suggest you go on a 24 hour fast sort of with only clear liquids and very icky tasting drink that will help to make sure your system is all cleaned out so they can stick a camera ........ aka colonoscopy. So once in awhile backing off from solid food isn't bad.
  • cecilyjenkins
    cecilyjenkins Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I fast once a month and it's been proven to be healthy for your body. My breath always stinks when I fast if I don't brush my tongue with toothpaste. If that doesn't work, chew gum. You're not swallowing or ingesting the gum. It always will help.
  • stephchillous
    Options
    OK so im new to this but on this fasting topic ive read alot into this "lemonade diet" or "master cleanse" i think im going to attempt this tomorrow. I want all the correct ingredients before following through cause i want results.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Yes I've fasted in the past times, but I don't do it for weightloss purpose, but for a spiritual one.:smile:
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Did a zero carb diet for two weeks, lost about 12 pounds. You lose a lot of energy and stamina though, and you pretty much gain it all back
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    fasting isnt bad, depending on what you mean by it.
    fasting where you eat a whole lot of cals in one sitting and then dont eat for an extended period of time - thats fine, doesnt matter WHEN you eat, just how MUCH you eat. but flat out not eating for a period of time, or just drinking juiceor cutting out food groups, not very healthy or practical.