New Rules to Lifting

Options
I have just picked up the book the new rules to lifting by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgroove. I am really enjoying reading it. Has anyone else read it? Put the workouts into practice? Results?

Replies

• SammiSloan
    SammiSloan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I read the New Rules of Lifting for Women, and that was awesome, so I'm sure the one for men will be, as well!!!
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    @OP Are you doing the New Rules workouts? Someone else here got me interested in the book so I got it. I love it. I am about to start the "Break In" and was looking for others doing it. Add me if you are interested and we can work together.
  • Don26
    Don26 Posts: 46
    Options
    Yes, I did and worked out with it all summer. Set up my squat rack in the garage and it really kicked my butt. Have been doing strength training on and off most of my life. It was really good and I put several inches on my thighs from all the squats and deadlifts (which I never did before, always hated working my legs). Was down to 213 pounds (lightest I have been in a long time) and was feeling great. Unfortunately over the past several months I was working tons of overtime and then got sick for several weeks and ballooned back up to 230 really fast. I am about to get back into it (without the rack, wife has to park in the garage when the weather turns bad). Best advise I can give you...DO NOT SKIP WORKOUTS! It is easy to blow off a day, then another. The next thing you know months have gone by and you are back where you started. Another good book (a must for any beginner at body building) is Arnold Schwartenegger's new encyclopedia for modern bodybuilders. Huge book but full of very useful tips. I will be joining you on the journey shortly, have to set up my bench in the basement and get moving. Once I get back into it I will be asking myself the same damn question...why did you stop?! Feel so good when I am working out so why? Got me...I need to get my *kitten* moving!
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did and worked out with it all summer. Set up my squat rack in the garage and it really kicked my butt. Have been doing strength training on and off most of my life. It was really good and I put several inches on my thighs from all the squats and deadlifts (which I never did before, always hated working my legs). Was down to 213 pounds (lightest I have been in a long time) and was feeling great. Unfortunately over the past several months I was working tons of overtime and then got sick for several weeks and ballooned back up to 230 really fast. I am about to get back into it (without the rack, wife has to park in the garage when the weather turns bad). Best advise I can give you...DO NOT SKIP WORKOUTS! It is easy to blow off a day, then another. The next thing you know months have gone by and you are back where you started. Another good book (a must for any beginner at body building) is Arnold Schwartenegger's new encyclopedia for modern bodybuilders. Huge book but full of very useful tips. I will be joining you on the journey shortly, have to set up my bench in the basement and get moving. Once I get back into it I will be asking myself the same damn question...why did you stop?! Feel so good when I am working out so why? Got me...I need to get my *kitten* moving!

This is what I am worried about... My thighs are already big I don't want them bigger.
  • Don26
    Don26 Posts: 46
    Options
    Not to worry...this is your largest muscle group. If you want to burn fat these are the ones that will help the most. I am heavy in the middle, not in the legs so I saw growth there but if you are heavy in the thighs, they will definately go down. Work those muscles and you will see great results, trust me on this.
  • RahBuhBuh
    Options
    I don't skip workouts unless my schedule forces me too (like being out of town). This is what worries me. Unless I misread, the book doesn't like you working out more than two days in a row. I HAVE to go to the gym. It's my happy place.

I have Arnold Schwartenegger's new encyclopedia for modern bodybuilders. I agree its good, but it doesn't have a great fat burn plan like New Rules of Lifting. I mainly want to burn my gut. Its the only area I have fat. My legs, arms, etc are all ok. But that dang gut has got to go.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I am doing NROL for women....

You guys should see if there is a NROL for men group. There is one for women. If not, start one up!
  • RahBuhBuh
    Options
    I know better than to argue with a woman. So, I made a group for it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1542-new-rules-of-lifting-men
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I know better than to argue with a woman. So, I made a group for it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1542-new-rules-of-lifting-men

:laugh:
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    For me there was nothing really ground breaking in the book. It was mostly stuff I had already read in strength training blogs over the last two years. But nonetheless it is based off of IMHO a lot of solid information, and has a very solid workout plan. I'm going to do it.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I just started reading the "for Women" version of it. So far I'm liking what I'm reading. I like all the studies listed. I got the book because I have to be in the know and up to date with all the fitness hype (everyone is raving about). But this is no hype. I'm glad finally they put a book out that will give women a gentile shove towards lifting heavy. This book proves why women can and should lift heavy. It's awesome. I've been lifting for years and gave up on trying to convince women/friends to lift heavy. Maybe this book will do the trick.