Calculating calories burned using HRM?

Options
So I keep hearing everyone uses HRM to see how much they actually burn. I have googled HRM calculator and there is only one. I am hoping there is some other ones I can use to see how accurate it really is. So how do you all use your HRM to find out how many calories you really burn during a work out session?

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My HRM displays calories burned on the screen - so it tells me my HR, my calorie burn and the time.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I have a polar HRM, which uses a chest strap and watch so I can see calories, duration and heart rate.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    There are many brands and types of heart rate monitors. Check on Amazon for the highly rated ones with the features you want. Some have you put a band around your check. Others don't. I'm not sure if one is more accurate than another. I have one but it's not effective in my case so I seldom use it and never for calories. I have a Sportsline 925 but there are lots of good ones.
  • Jay0hwhy
    Options
    there are many brands of heart rate monitors out there-- ones that are wrist only and one that come with a chest strap. the chest strap ones are better for getting a constant heart rate.

the way that they work is that the machine takes your heartrate and uses your current weight/age to figure out about what your real calorie burn is like.

they use an average to find it, which why chest strap ones give a better reading since they are taking a constant measure of your heart rate.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Most people on here are talking about the ones that they wear, not one online. Polar is one brand, but there are a ton out there. They actually register your heartbeat (with a chest strap and a sensor) and use that to figure out calories burned. It send the results to a watch that you wear. It's more accurate becuase the increase in heart rate lets it gauge how hard you're really working.
  • busterrocks
    busterrocks Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use a polar F6 watch with a chest strap. It's been the best workout tool I've ever purchased!
  • codycaca1
    codycaca1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use a mio watch and its usually pretty accurate when in comparsion to the machines. But all I have to do is press start when Im about to do my work out and check my heart rate and it will calculate my calories burnt from there. Also usually I check my heartrate a few times throughout the work out to make sure I am not over doing it, and seeing if I need to push harder. If you do alot of classes a HRM will become your best friend :)
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    As said previously - there are a several brands out there - some are just HR monitors some include a GPS and you can upload your walk, run, bike route and keep track that way.

As for the calorie counter - use it as a guide because there can he a fairly large variance in the numbers. I know someone who had the actual measurements done and hers was 20% off. I use mine (garmin forerunner 305) all the time and use it more for the heart rate and the GPS function.
  • SAC0O3
    SAC0O3 Posts: 95
    Options
    I got the Timex easy trainer heart rate monitor and it doesn't tel lme how many calories I burn. It does say my average heart rate and such though. Is there anyway I can find out calories burned with that information?
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I got the Timex easy trainer heart rate monitor and it doesn't tel lme how many calories I burn. It does say my average heart rate and such though. Is there anyway I can find out calories burned with that information?

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

Use that - it comes pretty close to what my Polar says.
  • SAC0O3
    SAC0O3 Posts: 95
    Options

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

Use that - it comes pretty close to what my Polar says.

Is that pretty close as in it says you burn over the calories your HRM says or under? I would rather underestimate then overestimate!
    Also, thanks for the link :)