My foot hurts

Options
I have been doing leslie sansone walking and jogging for 6 weeks now. The last couple weeks the top of my right foot has been hurting. The left is only a tiny bit sore. It's now just worse and i don't know how much working out i should or will be doing. The top,sort of outside, from the ankle about halfway to the toes. When i walk, flex, point, exercise, circle my foot around. It doesn't appear to be really swollen. It hurts when i'm not doing anything now. I kept it up with ice the other day. Actually hurts more when i walk without shoes on. I don't have ins. therefore won't be rushing to the doctor. But would love some suggestions.

Replies

• dHowe4406
    Options
    I had a similar problem about 3 years ago. For me the Dr. said it was a foot tendon. I was told to keep off it and take ibuprofen. After about a week staying off it I didn't have the pain anymore.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    RICE

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation.

Prop your foot up on something, slap a bag of crushed ice on the sore spot, wrap it down with a bandage or whatever, and leave it on for a half-hour or so. Repeat until you can walk/jog/run on it without changing your gait. If it hurts when you run (after a warm-up) or after, give it a few days off to see how it goes.

You may want to stop by a good running store to see if your shoes are doing everything they should for you.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    My favorite heat/cold pack recipe....

1lb bag of rice
    1 tube sock

Fill tube sock with rice. seal sock hole.
    Stick in freezer for cold, zap in microwave for warm. It's awwwweesooommmee!!
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    thanx for the advice. The sock idea sounds brilliant. What is gait?
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    thanx for the advice. The sock idea sounds brilliant. What is gait?

Your gait is the way you run, stride length, biomechanics, and all that. What I was trying to say is that if you can run on it normally, great, but if you have to modify the way you run, better to wait a bit.
  • ogottwald
    ogottwald Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Not expecting this but I have Gout which can cause very painful problems with my feet. I know for me if the shoes are to tight I can have problems. I simply cannot wear Nike because they are for a narrow foot. In my case brooks seem the best. As recommend above may want to get your shoes checked out at a solid runner shoe store.

With Gout: Is the sore area red or inflammed? Is it sensitive to the touch or throbbing pain?

The rice idea above is a great idea! I will definitely try that the next time I have issues.