Eating at maintenance calories?

Options
I've searched the topics and have found a few on this, but I was wondering if anyone has tried this? Eating at your goal weight's maintenance calories. I know it would probably take longer to lose the weight, but I haven't been doing this for long and I only plan to lose 30 pounds (not 100% sure about that yet). I have mine currently set to 1130 calories and it's tough to stay at that, but I'm worried that once I reach my goal and up my calories, I'll gain all the weight back from the shock. I am going to seek medical advice, but I thought I'd just check here first to see if anyone had experience with this.

Replies

• Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    People are gonna jump on your back to eat at LEAST 1200cals a day. I have to agree with them.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    People are gonna jump on your back to eat at LEAST 1200cals a day. I have to agree with them.

Initially, I DID have it set to 1200, but that wasn't giving me a 500 deficit and I didn't like that.. I usually end up netting more than 1200 anyway, though.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Check out Fat2fit radio - eating at your goal weight maintenance calories is their entire philosophy.

And unless you're incredibly short, you should be eating more calories *just sayin* did you get that number by taking a 500 calorie deficit off your BMR or your TDEE?
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Depending on your body size, 1130 is not crazy. I had about 1180 calories today, and did roughly 550 calories worth of exercise, debating doing another 260 before bed. Just make sure you exercise daily
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I've searched the topics and have found a few on this, but I was wondering if anyone has tried this? Eating at your goal weight's maintenance calories. I know it would probably take longer to lose the weight, but I haven't been doing this for long and I only plan to lose 30 pounds (not 100% sure about that yet). I have mine currently set to 1130 calories and it's tough to stay at that, but I'm worried that once I reach my goal and up my calories, I'll gain all the weight back from the shock. I am going to seek medical advice, but I thought I'd just check here first to see if anyone had experience with this.

How tall are you?
    Age?
    Weight?
    Goal?
  • futiledevices
    Options

How tall are you?
    Age?
    Weight?
    Goal?

I'm 5'1"
    120 (i think..not 100% yet)
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Current BMR is 1460 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?
    Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1621
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1858
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2094
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2330
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2567

NOTE: Please remember that this calculation is just a guideline. Your metabolism may be higher or lower based on the amount of lean muscle you have. Use these numbers a a starting point and tweak them up or down based on your weight loss or gain. It may take a couple weeks to get your exact calorie level.

Sorry so late but i was out of town!
  • futiledevices
    Options
    Current BMR is 1460 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?
    Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1621
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1858
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2094
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2330
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2567

NOTE: Please remember that this calculation is just a guideline. Your metabolism may be higher or lower based on the amount of lean muscle you have. Use these numbers a a starting point and tweak them up or down based on your weight loss or gain. It may take a couple weeks to get your exact calorie level.

Sorry so late but i was out of town!

Same numbers I got.. I've seen my doctor and she was no help - she doesn't know a thing about the subject. I'm waiting for an appointment with a dietitian before I change my calorie intake. For now, it's 1300.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Fair enough!
    Sad that most docs are overweight and have no clue on how to stay healthy huh?