Losing pounds but not inches....?

Options
I might be being a bit presumptuous but the last month or two I am losing weight but not really anything from the tape measure. In the first month and a bit I lost inches and it was nice to see but lately I haven't been noticing much change.

I measure my waist, chest, hips, thighs and arms. I do cross trainer, weights for upper body and walking, should I maybe do some sit ups or target my midsection? I'm going down sizes in jeans so my tummy is getting smaller but my waist seems to be stuck...and this is where I really need to shift it from!!

I'm getting firmer in my legs and arms and chest....maybe I just need to be a bit more patient!!??

Replies

• Sanvita58
    Sanvita58 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    With my personal experience I can say my weighing scale and measuring tape said I have not lost any but at the same time the pictures said there was a difference and my T shirt also didnt give the bulge out (muffin top)...not sure how it works but having patience and believing in your clothes is the best choice at this point of time...
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Up cardio on days you arent weight training.
    20-40 mins above fat burn pace.
    Shoot for a 5 pace.
    If its too much then do HIIT training and that will certainly burn the fat.

What are your calories consumed per day and how much protein are you eating?
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    @ sanvita *like*
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I am the complet opposite. The inches are melting off and I love lol:wink: but the scales hasn't moved a bunch, I'm cool with that(for now)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    With my personal experience I can say my weighing scale and measuring tape said I have not lost any but at the same time the pictures said there was a difference and my T shirt also didnt give the bulge out (muffin top)...not sure how it works but having patience and believing in your clothes is the best choice at this point of time...

the name of the game is trading fat for lean body mass!
    Sexy isnt it?
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You know what? I've lost 18 freaking pounds and went UP a pants size. I mean, they're a different brand, and fit better, so sure, maybe there's something to be said for that, but nothing with the tape measure.

When I bought those pants I looked at the success stories page, it was a big fat demotivator.

Honestly, I feel like I could be 150 pounds and still not look any different. :sad:

That probably doesn't help you any. :frown:
  • kantone999
    Options
    That MIGHT mean you're losing muscle instead of fat. Are you giving your muscles a day between weight training to recover and build mass? Are you eating enough protein for your weight training regimen? Are you drinking enough water, especially after weight training? Know your target heart rate and stay in the midrange of that to burn the most fat. While all exercise is good, there's a difference in just being less sedentary and training.
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I try to do about 100ish protein per day i'm exercising, I usually do about 45 mins of cross trainer 5 days a week (600-650 cals) and do weight lifting 3x per week but only for about 30 mins. I don't eat all my exercise cals, maybe about 200 under as I think that sometimes you over estimate exercise and underestimate what you eat (but lets not make this one of those posts!!!!) I eat about 1600/1700 on exercise days and 1300 on 2 rest days (I do doggy walks each day). My goal is 1200 per day.

Should I consider alternating the cross trainer and weights (one day cross trainer (lower body), next day weights (upper body). I have the cross trainer on pretty tough resistance and my legs are usually aching afterwards.

Thanks for all the suggestions...even the ones that were no help whatsoever :wink:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I would say you're most likely losing fat from the most important place of all.Inside your body. When you're obese/overweight not only do you put on fat on the outside of your body but it also goes on the inside. It packs itself around the heart, the lungs, the liver, basically all your internal organs making it much harder for them to work. Losing this fat won't make you any smaller but it will make you lighter and give your organs more room to do their job.
    So I would say it's coming off the most important part of you first, the inside.
  • MarinaPacheco
    MarinaPacheco Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yep I have the same problem. Down 6lb but no change on the tape measure. I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one it gives me hope. I thought something freakish was going on;-)
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Up cardio on days you arent weight training.
    20-40 mins above fat burn pace.
    Shoot for a 5 pace.
    If its too much then do HIIT training and that will certainly burn the fat.

What are your calories consumed per day and how much protein are you eating?

Oooh, okay what's a 5 pace? I usually do extra cross trainer the days I'm not doing weights. Been seeing a lot of people talking about HIIT, might give it a go, thanks for the advice! :)