Have over 200# to lose

Options
Hi! My SW was 360
CW is 357
GW is 115

I am 28 yrs old and BARELY 5'3!!!

I'm looking for friends. Please send me a request!

Look forward to talking with people who are supportive and maybe even in a similar starting point.

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• turntechBiologist
    turntechBiologist Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hey there! :D

My SW was pretty high too, 371, not a good number for someone that's 5'3! :(

I did managed to get down to 317 this year, but due to life being a pain, I gained that all back, and currently up to 350 :(

But we can most definitely be friends! :) I'm 22 going on 23 next month! ^_^
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Check into the Duodenal Switch. See obesityhelp.com for more information.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    You can add me I have lots to lose too. Best wishes
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking control of your life again. Are there any activities or sports that you love to do (or used to love to do) that you can use to help motivate you too? Is your husband on board with this lifestyle change?

Have you seen a doctor and/or dietician to help you as well? They can be a great source of info and support, especially if you're learning or relearning how to eat healthfully and portion properly!

Feel free to add me if you like. Good luck to you! :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I'm now recomping so if you need advice you can add me!
    Hugs!
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I started at 377 lbs and am down 71 lbs. I'm a bit taller at 5' 7". I sent you a friend request. You can do this!
  • kantone999
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Feel free to add me. We're all in this together.
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Good for you for starting this journey! Good luck! There's a board called "vertical challengers" you can join for people under 5'3 if you're interested!
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Why??
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I started at 349, and am at 235 now. My next goal is 225, then to get to an "overweight" BMI instead of "obese." I don't really have a final goal weight yet.

I also have exercise goals--I joined a challenge here to walk 15 miles a week (some walk more), and it's really helped me! Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • lostemt76
    lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Welcome... I'm 35 and 5'8 but at 314.6. My starting weight was 335. It been a great support system here and you can add me.:flowerforyou:
  • queenkb
    Options
    Hello & Welcome

The thing I love most about this site is the supportive people! My 70lbs feels like 200. I know the goal seems soo far away but this is your first step to the new fit you! I would love to be your fit pal! :)
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You can do it. There is a lot of support on this site and it will help you. Good luck.
  • sweethinkr
    Options
    Hi there. I have over 200 to lose as well and just started back today for the final time. Let's do this together!
  • Peachy_T
    Peachy_T Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This is a great website for support and motivation! I've been a member for 2 weeks and absolutely love the encouragement I get! I'd love to help you along your journey and would love to have your supoort as well!
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Because. I hate to be a party pooper, but I had about 150 pounds to lose and when you need to lose and keep off that much weight, diet and exercise won't cut it. Studies show that only 5% of people who diet/exercise will be able to keep that amount of weight off. I had the duodenal switch last November and am down a total of 134 pounds so far and I feel great. I am the healthiest I ever have been and it reverses diabetes.
  • MCKB14
    Options

Why??

I have to agree with leighbie here. I started at 450lbs and I bounced back and forth my whole life. I'd lose weight and gain it all back plus more. I had the duodenal switch in March 2011 at 410lbs and I have lost 134.4 lbs I am currently at 275 lbs and I am not even done losing yet. It helped me save my life, I had sleep apnea, borderline diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and it is all gone now. I was a ticking time bomb and I was going to die before i hit 30 i didn't do something quick about my weight problem. Diet and exercise have a 95% failure rate for the morbidly obese.

I wish you all the best of luck and if it works for you only more power to you, but there is nothing wrong with doing a little reading and a little research. You might not be interested in WLS now but you never know if you might be in the future. I am thankful that someone suggested the Duodenal Switch to me. It saved my life.
  • no_more_rolls
    Options

Why??

Although I feel the decision to have WLS is a personal choice, I have to agree too. My highest weight was 313 pounds. I now weigh 193...within a very short time. I am still not any where near the goal weight I would like to be, I am healthier now than I have ever been...and I'm almost 40 years old! I have lost over 100 pounds several times in my life only to gain it (ad often more) back. It was very frustrating and heart breaking...let's not forget hard on your body too. Several years ago I began looking into weight loss surgery (WLS). Thankfully someone told me about the duodenal switch (DS). I did not take the idea seriously until February of this year when I slipped in the snow and tore my MCL (knee injury). Reluctantly I had to seek medical attention. I did not know I had high blood pressure, was borderline diabetic, had premature arthritis in my knees, and a list of other medical issues until then. It put me on a journey that has truly changed my life. I began working out a few days a week in physical therapy since I was too heavy for knee surgery. In a few months my knee was better, although the arthritis due to my weight caused permanent damage. By July I weighed 255 pounds and got the duodenal switch. I continue to exercise 5 days a week now and feel guilty the days I do not do it. I can eat a lot of food, compared to other WLS procedures, I just follow a low carb/high protein diet. The DS also has the best long term success rates when compared to other WLS or diet and exercise alone. I no longer have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and borderline diabetes. My only complaint is I that I waited until now to do this. I can only imagine the life I could of had if I had done this in my 20's...not to mention avoiding the permanent damage I caused my body (knee arthritis).
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who was almost 400lbs at his heaviest, and with healthy eating and exercise alone he has lost the weight and kept it off.
  • FoxySonia
    Options
    I have struggled with my weight since I was 13 years old, and for too many years yo-yo dieted and my weight fluctuated like a roller coaster. I could lose lots of weight, 40, 60, 96, with diet and exercise or diet alone, but always gained it all back and then ended with more added weight than when I started the diet. Diets alone won't work. Diet and exercise might work, but as soon as you stop, the weight can and often do come back. By the time I research weight loss surgery (WLS) I was so sick I couldn't work, I had diabetes, hypertension, tachycardia, irregular heart beat, edema, obstructive sleep apnea, aortic valve calcification (stenosis), poly-cystic ovarian syndrome, acid reflux with occasional heartburn, mild incontinence, diastasis recti (separation of the abdominal muscle from ribcage to belly button), arthritis on my knees and hips, and severe depression. It was hard to even walk a few block or up a flight of stairs without feeling fatigue and breathless. I really felt horrible and was seriously afraid that I would end up dying young, probably in my early to mid 40's. I looked into the lap band, thinking it would be a safer surgery but found out that it's not very effective and not a good surgery for those that are morbidly obese, only good for those that only have 40 to 60 lbs. to lose. The doctor recommended the RNY (Gastric Bypass), because he didn't do the DS (Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch), but since he mentioned it to me, and I hated the way the RNY surgery would reconfigured my stomach and would restrict my diet, I researched the DS, and I'm so glad I did. It's the most successful WLS, give the best weight loss results in both short and long term, and offers the best quality of life, allowing me to eat a more "normal" diet, without the severe restrictions and dumping syndrome of RNY patients. My highest weight was 292 lbs. and I'm 5'4" tall. I got the BPD/DS surgery on August 11, 2008 and I truly believe that it saved my life. My diabetes was gone the day after surgery, and hypertension gone a few days later, with most of the other health problems going away or lessening in a few months. I had stopped taking medications just before the DS and never went back on them. I've lost over 130 lbs., losing around 92 lbs. on the first year, and on my 3 year surgiversary my weight was 138 lbs. I just turned 42 years old and I'm just a few lbs. to my weight goal of 130 lbs. which is close to my lowest weight as an adult 17 years ago when I was 24-25. I wished I hadn't struggled with my morbid obesity and serious health problems and complications from it for as long as I did. I'm so glad for the DS, it saved my life and has improved my health and quality of life so much. I recommend the DS to anyone that have struggled with morbid obesity for years.