Calories

Options
What is the right way to do it? When you exercise you are able to consume more calories, got it! The question, should I eat those extra calories or should I stick with the 1200 original daily allowance? Thanks for the input! (sorry for the silly question!)

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It works differently for each person. You have to experiment and see what works for you.
  • amymaria91
    Options
    It completely depends on your body. The first couple of months on here I found not eating back my exercise calories worked for me and I lost 17 pounds. Then I hit a plateau a couple of weeks ago so decided to try changing my theory so I started to eat my exercise calories and now I've started losing weight again. Try one of them and if it doesn't work for you then try the other
  • luvbwfc
    luvbwfc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I would say eat them if you're hungry, but try and keep them as 'quality' calories, rather than an excuse for a mars bar (or whatever)
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    What is the right way to do it? When you exercise you are able to consume more calories, got it! The question, should I eat those extra calories or should I stick with the 1200 original daily allowance? Thanks for the input! (sorry for the silly question!)

Eat those exercise calories and the 1200
  • carlaj38
    carlaj38 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Me personally although my calorie intake is 1350. I still try to stay under 1200. Because I want quicker results. I don't know if that's right but I like it.
  • carlaj38
    carlaj38 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'm going to try that..
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That would be a wonderful resource if everyone's bodies were exactly the same and responded exactly the same.

They aren't and they don't.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I haven't been eating back any calories, even now that I am trying to maintain my weight loss. I have been working on maintaining for 1 week yesterday and will continue not eating back calories till my maintenance is over for another 5 to 6 weeks. After that I will start eating back my calories.

Find something that works for you and your body, but that is what I do and I am hovering within 2 lbs of my lowest weight so far.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I haven't been eating back any calories, even now that I am trying to maintain my weight loss. I have been working on maintaining for 1 week yesterday and will continue not eating back calories till my maintenance is over for another 5 to 6 weeks. After that I will start eating back my calories.

how can you be in maintenance if you are creating a deficit through exercise?
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options

Find something that works for you and your body, but that is what I do and I am hovering within 2 lbs of my lowest weight so far.

How is your maths? Logical reasoning doesn't seem to be your strong point as you will remain in a deficit
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    My goal was 1200 when I first started (trying to lose 2 lbs per week) and now that I've revised it it's 1210 (revised to 1 lb per week after dropping some weight). I usually eat back most of my exercise calories (sometimes all of them, but at least half at the very least) and I've been very successful so far. I started tracking in late July, and now 3.5 months later I am 25 lbs lighter. I started out at 165 and now I'm under 140. I experimented a bit with letting my net calories go lower than 1000 and I seemed to stall out. Keeping it closer to my goal seems to make my body happier and more ready to drop weight. Plus half the reason I workout is b/c I'm HUNGRY and need to earn some extra calories for snacks. LOL Anyway, it's worked really well for me. But an important point is also that I use my HRM for the most accurate calorie burn - if I used MFP estimates all the time I'd be worried that it might be overestimating my burn and in turn that I might be overeating too many exercise calories that I might not have really burned. Since I use my HRM I am confident that it is a really good estimate, so I go ahead and eat what I earn.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options

how can you be in maintenance if you are creating a deficit through exercise?

I don't do any vigorous exercises yet, just walking/ jogging for about 20 to 40 min, other than that normal shopping and house work.
    So the defect is maybe 200 calories. I don't want to play with my calories or vigorous exercise till I have been this weight for at least 1 and a half to 2 months. I think my body would have had well enough chance to get used to the weight I am in by that time. Remember I lost 112 lbs over a short period of time 1 year 3 months with little loos or extra skin, everything I have been doing has worked so far.

Wearing a girdle 18 hours/day after a great amount of weight loss (5 lbs in 1 week for instance), drinking a special asian tea I make at home out of natural herbs I buy at the Indian store, making sure I eat my share of mono-saturated fat, Protein and complex carbs among other things.

The results have been amazing.
    I measured last night:
    172 lbs
    5'4"
    chest 38
    waist 26
    hip 38
    size 8 us jeans.

IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    DSCN0072.jpg
    DSCN01241.jpg

This may not work for others, but it has worked for me. :)
  • evansjune
    evansjune Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm going to start out by staying as close to my 1200 and see how it works. If it doesn't, I'll switch it up!