Alternates to Pasta?

Options
I love Bolognaise, I make it from scratch. (Just mince beef and chopped tinned tomatoes) so it's low in calories.
However, the Pasta is not. I was wondering what alternatives I could have with it, because Pasta is high in calories.

Replies

• kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash!
  • hairjunkie
    hairjunkie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Shiritaki noodles- they're only 40 calories per bag!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I also say spagnetti squash!
  • mewhisler
    mewhisler Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree that spaghetti squash is awesome to substitute!
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I usually go for Spaghetti Squash. 1 cup = 42 calories.

I slice my spaghetti squash in half length-wise, scoop the seeds, and sprinkle a bit of garlic powder & Italian Mrs. Dash. Then I cover them with plastic wrap and nuke them in the microwave. Now it depends on how thick your squash is....try for 8 min on high, and if its soft to squeeze and you can easily scrape the strands out of the "shell" it's done. If not, keep it in there longer. :) Much faster than roasting in the oven.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've heard spaghetti squash is a good alternative, but I don't know if I could do it..... You could use rice or baked potatoes....
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    Definitely spaghetti squash. But I also use a variety of vegetables....cauliflower, etc. So great underneath a spaghetti sauce.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i am EXACTLY the same. its my fav dish ever. iv tried all sorts but nothing compares. so now i have it as my treat food. i could eat bolagnese every day but now i treat it as a reward on the weekend or friday night meal so i onyl have the high carbs once a week.
  • ImCasual
    Options
    Yes, I will probably use rice, the spaghetti squash doesn't look too nice.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i would suggest cabbage. never had it as an alternative to pasta but i have heard others who have says it is delicious with bolognese sauce. it is on my "to try" list.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    This may sound crazy, but I sometimes substitute veggies for pasta, and eat them smothered in sauce. I am a veggie lover though. I ussually use: spinach, broccoli, olives, artichokes, and mushrooms. It's so hearty and filling that you don't even miss the pasta! (Even though I do love pasta too).
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have a small portion of pasta, wholemeal, and a huge bowl of salad,.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried these, but they intrigue me! For the most part they're natural, no preservatives, no gluten, no calories, no carbs. It's basically a food binder/stabilizer. It's actually been shown to help with diabetes.

Miracle Noodles: http://www.miraclenoodle.com
  • trlyblssd79
    trlyblssd79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Not sure how it would taste but maybe try shirataki noodles. I have heard they have zero calories!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I can't find an alternative to pasta that does it justice, but saying that you can just add vegetables of any kind to make kind of a stew. There's also the shirataki noodles that don't have any calories to speak of, but you would need to really convince yourself they taste good, i think they taste like crap. You'll I'm sure get told that spaghetti squash is a good alternative because it somehow looks like noodles, but that's about where the similarity ends......
  • kantone999
    Options
    As to carbs, I can tell you from personal experience that they are NOT evil. I was stuck at 160/161 pounds for 4 whole months. I came across an article mentioning that if you eat 100 excess fat calories, 97 are converted to bodyfat (they're already triglycerides so not much work to convert). But if you eat 100 complex carbs (not empty junk carbs) only 60 get converted to body fat (it takes 40 calories to convert them). I tried it, lowering my fat intake to compensate and bang! Started lsoing again. I have a gluten intolerance so I use rice pasta. It's the only grain that doesn't cause so much bloat. So eat whole grain pasta and don't sweat it. Good luck!
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    spaghetti squash or polenta
  • rly123
    rly123 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    try Quinoa noodles =D
  • Meggy247
    Meggy247 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just purchased NoOodles which are Shirataki Noodles. I found a few recipes on their website and am planning on trying them out. I found them at my local grocery store as well!
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    We've been eating this product for years. Diabetic friendly, good size portions.

http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/