WANTED: Ground Turkey Recipe

notapromqueen
notapromqueen Posts: 63 Member
Hi All! I have a pound of ground turkey at home and need a low calorie recipe for tonights dinner! Hubby is getting slightly sick of my low-calorie pasta dishes (I've been making spaghetti with spaghetti squash and no-noodle lasagna with zucchini), so that's out. Any ideas are welcome! =)

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    I have had good luck using the ground turkey in a chili, they sell those seasoning packs at the grocery store-brown the meat, combine with some cans of chili beans and canned chopped tomatoes, and let it simmer. Yum!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Tacos. Who doesn't love tacos?
  • mrsdauer
    mrsdauer Posts: 102
    turkey tacos?
    turkey meatloaf?

my hubby is getting the same way! i made pumpkin soup last night, he wasnt real impressed :) I was though, it was awesome! :) good luck
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    turkey burgers? turkey chili? tacos? soo many things you can do with ground turkey! :drinker:
  • Bullitsmom
    Bullitsmom Posts: 3 Member
    Use the turkey instead of hamburger and make chilli, it is very good and low cal. I use turkey instead of hamburger for everything except actually cooking a hamburger, too dry.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    For alternative recipes, I have the 'Cook This, Not That' books and they are awesome. I doctor some of the meals to reduce the sodium content but all of the recipes have been excellent and VERY quick and easy so you don't need ton's of ingredients or tons of time.

For the turkey, I like turkey meatloaf with tomato chutney. You need 3 lbs of turkey though.
  • I really like Mexican style turkey burgers. Season meat similar to a taco, add jalapenos and cook on grill or in a pan. Top with salsa and wholly guacamole. So yummy!
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/02/turkey-chili-taco-soup.html

I have made this before and it was very, very good.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    check out www.supercook.com, you enter ingredients you have and it sorts through recipes to tell you what you can make with it, it's pretty cool....
  • lauragoat
    lauragoat Posts: 197 Member
    Watch out for the seasoning packets (chili, tacos, mealoaf, etc.) THEY ARE LOADED WITH SODIUM! Make your own and you'll totally control the sodium!!!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    Turkey burgers are responsible for a great deal of my weightloss. They're delicious! Just use as you would ground beef.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Check out gina's skinny recipes. She has a lot of ground turkey recipes. Her petite turkey meatloaves are really good.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Turkey stuffed peppers! Same recipe as with beef only use turkey. Just make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after mixing the ground turkey and rice mixture. Good too, if you add some southwestern spices. :happy:
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    I did a batch of turkey taco soup last night to have for lunches this week. It's good stuff.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    stuffed peppers...mix up some cooked ground turkey, cooked brown rice, tomato sauce/spaghetti sauce and some sauteed onions. cut off the top of a pepper, and stuff until it is stuffed. Bake in about a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. (You might want to check a more official recipe for exact cooking times, but it's not really something you can mess up. you just need to cook the pepper and warm the stuffing.
  • I love ground turkey! Its all I use! I love ground turkey meatloaf (very low in calories), tacos, spaghetti, chili... any thing you use ground beef for! Its a easy substitute!
  • I have a fantastic turkey meatloaf recipe. message me your e-mail & I will send it. I also have a turkey strogonoff recipe at home if you are interested. I only use ground turkey when I cook. My tacos, etc turn out phenomenal.
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Turkey meatloaf with barley

2 tsp canola oil
    1 medium green pepper(s), diced
    1 small onion(s), diced
    1 large egg(s), beaten
    1 cup(s) cooked barley, quick-cooking suggested
    2/3 cup(s) ketchup, divided*
    1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 tsp table salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
    1/4 tsp dried oregano, crushed
    20 oz Turkey, ground, 93% lean/7% fat, raw
    2 spray(s) cooking spray
    Instructions

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add green pepper and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until pepper is tender, about 7 minutes. Spoon vegetables into a large bowl; add egg, barley, 1/4 cup of ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and oregano and mix well. Crumble turkey into vegetable mixture; gently mix to combine (do not knead or meatloaf will be tough).

Coat a 9- X 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Spoon turkey mixture into prepared pan in an even layer. Spread remaining ketchup over meatloaf. Bake until center of meatloaf is thoroughly cooked, about 50 to 60 minutes.

Remove meatloaf from oven and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes to absorb juices in pan. Slice into six pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.

Notes

*Turn up the heat with spicy ketchup.
  • I had turkey burgers just last night! I mixed the ground turkey with some Italian seasoning spices, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, and some bread crumbs, and just cooked 'em up on my George Foreman grill!
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    turkey meatballs, turkey chili, turkey burgers with taco seasoning in it top it with salsa and sour cream !