heart rate monitors

Options
Hi, I've been on mfp for a little while now and I was wondering why does someone need a heart rate monitor? How is it helpful? I hope this is not a stupid question I would just like to know what difference it makes.Thanks for any answers

Replies

• yeroc39
    Options
    Hi. First I need to tell you that I work for Polar heart rate monitors. But more importantly, I have been using a heart rate monitors for a lot longer than I have been working for Polar. But here are some of the reasons.....

To reach your goals you have to work out at the right intensity every day. That means not too hard...beause you then exercise too short to achieve any results, or too easy....where you don't maximize your time. Your heart rate is the best indicator of how hard you exercise. Its a way to pace yourself during each workout. You just have to stay in the right target zone that is right for your goal. Its really like having someone coach you while you are working out.

Lastly, it will give you a more accurate number of the calories you burn, better then any machine or chart because its based specifically on you and what you did that workout.

If you decide to get one, whatever brand you get, makes sure its one with a chest transmitter. The wrist only units force you to stop and take it, and also if its not continuous, its not a true guide. Think about if you had to push a button to get speed in your car. Probably get a lot of tickets because you would not always have that reference about how fast you are going. Similar thing with the wrist only pulse units.

Good luck in your decision. Hope that helped a little.
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM because it tells me how many calories I burned. The machines at the gym just give a general idea for someone of your age and body weight but are often WAY off depending on how fit or unfit you are. I also find it motivating because when I first started working out after not going to the gym for awhile, my heart rate was high. Now I have to work super hard and am lucky to even get it close to the rate it was before. It's fun to see such an important organ adjusting and improving based on your workout!
  • Maris165
    Maris165 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I own a Polar heart rate monitor and love it. It lets you know the intensity that your body is working at and your calorie burn, especially if your shooting for a certain amount of calories to burn per workout. Good luck on finding one. My Polar is an F4 (I believe) with a chest transmitter. Love love love it!!

Maris
  • can_tastic
    can_tastic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of addicted to mine... I'd even wear it during sex if I had any of that! haha
  • cscheiern
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info! I didn't know any of that. I guess now I will have to look into getting one. thanks again everyone!