Kids and Exercise

Options
My girls (1 1/2 and 3 1/2) love doing the 30 day shred with my boyfriend and I. We LOVE them doing it with because it really makes the workout less stressful and more fun. However, they keep trying to pick up our weights but they are just too heavy for them (wouldn't want them to get a hernia!). I called the doctor and asked what would be acceptable (I was thinking 1 lb weights would suffice) but she said that we should look for something lighter.

Any suggestions? They need to look like our weights because you know kids, they want to be like mommy and daddy.

Replies

• twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Canned goods...maybe re-wrapped to not say 'Corn'. Those are lighter weight, especially if you get the smaller cans. The 1 1/2 y/o could even use like 6oz cans of tomato paste, which would fit their hands better, too. Maybe wrap them in construction paper, each child can have their own color...
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Canned goods...maybe re-wrapped to not say 'Corn'. Those are lighter weight, especially if you get the smaller cans. The 1 1/2 y/o could even use like 6oz cans of tomato paste, which would fit their hands better, too. Maybe wrap them in construction paper, each child can have their own color...

They would know.. I tried giving them empty water bottles but they were like uh..no mom we're not supid.. lol
  • skarp36
    Options
    not sure if this would work but how about getting some bright hard foam and cutting them into weight shape for the kids??? so they look similar to yours.
  • sunshinesher01
    sunshinesher01 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like the can idea. My wife and I did the 30 day shred and our kids (3, 5, 7) did it too. We used the cans first to show them that they can be used and weights. Then we had them pick out their own cans. :) The youngest had the tomato paste :) It was super cute!
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    soft toys that are shaped like weights. Anything not looking like what you use they may not want to use. My girls love the stay ball. Much to big so I got beach balls for them to use.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Might as well get some 1lbs... they're pretty cheap.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I got my little girls the one pound weights. They are the walking weights so they are small enough for them. For the 3 and 1/2 year, I think that would be okay, but not for the 1 and 1/2 year old. Especially if she drops it or hits herself with it.
    I would get a small tube, at a craft store and wrap contac paper around it. Even a toilet paper or paper towel roll might be to big for the youngest to grasp.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    They used to make plastic weights that were filled with sand...that you could just dump out the sand. They also make some weights that you call fill up with water in order to use while traveling. They look like real weights but weight nothing if you don't fill them up.
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    41083_physical_development_baby_41jX0skCy0L._SL160_.jpg
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i know it sounds weird, but you could try petco, and look for dog or bird toys that are shaped like weights (or similar).
    theres also a 1/2 lb dumbell set from First Fitness (~$8)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Make your own with a paper towel roll, duck tape, and some foam rounds. They would look similar and they would have fun making them too.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    All good ideas. I will have to sort through them! If all else fails we will just put in tae Bo or something that doesn't require weights and do anything that does when they go to bed.
  • tinavirgilio
    tinavirgilio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Looks like you can buy some toy ones on alibaba.com.

www.alibaba.com/.../PVC_Toy_Dumbbells.html
  • tinavirgilio
    tinavirgilio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Even better... you can find dog toy ones that say "Gold's Gym" on them. Waaay cute!

petside.com
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I've got two air filled "Miracle Balls" (they're for rolling on to give yourself a massage). These are what I used to give my DD when she wanted to work out with me. They look like my round water filled weights but they weigh nothing.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    They used to make plastic weights that were filled with sand...that you could just dump out the sand. They also make some weights that you call fill up with water in order to use while traveling. They look like real weights but weight nothing if you don't fill them up.

That's actually a really good idea - because then they *are* "real" weights - just without the weight. They might even say '3 lbs' or whatever on them, which would add to the 'authenticity' for the kids.