Running on a treadmill

Options
Just curious, what speed do you run at on your treadmill? I know they aren't all set the same, but I do about 3.0-3.3. Sometimes 3.5, but it's challenging. (Which probly equals a brisk walk for most.) But I hear people talk about doing 6.0 and what not. Is it cause I'm SHORT (5'0 )? I can do 4.5, but that is me pushing to only last a minute, lol!!....And I'm still not running the whole time, I still gotta take walking breaks!!....Any suggestions on how to work on my speed?

Replies

• DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft2 and do 4.5 but I see people walking the same speed too. We're all different though. I think its shortness :p
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and i've topped out at 12 mph. i was doing 11 mph sprints yesterday. if i'm just running for a long distance i go at about a 6.8 to 7.0. i would say just go as hard as you can for as long as you can and push yourself! no pain, no gain! get those fast-twitch muscles used to moving that quick.
  • tonyavanwinkle2
    tonyavanwinkle2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 2 - and I do 4.5. It's currently a challenge and doesn't last more than a 1/4 of mile but I am hoping that as my body gets used to the exercises that my endurance and speed will improve. I don't know if it will much on the speed, but I am hopefull. Vertically challenged does have its draw backs because I'd really like to be able to run like some people I see. :)
  • JessiC1984
    JessiC1984 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and I walk at 3.0 to 3.5, sometimes 4.0 for a fast walk, and I run at 5.0 to 5.5 sometimes, I was always a really fast walker though. I thought I was going slow, lol.
    (5.0 to 5.5 is what I run my full mile to, but I vary it running as fast as I can for a while, too)
  • kjslilangel
    Options
    It has to do with height and endurance. Dont push yourself too quickly. Run at the best you can and keep taking walk breaks but overtime shorten your walk breaks and increase your running time
  • amberwebb79
    amberwebb79 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", usually walk at 4.0, and run 5.0-7.0 depending on distance. It's really different for everyone, based on how long they've been active, how tall they are, and just where they are comfortable doing it. Try not to compare yourself to others.

Lots of people have luck doing the Couch to 5K program to work on both speed, and the amount of time they can run without walking.
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    I'm 5'6.5" and depends if I am going for spurts or longer runs.
    If I go for short spurts I can go as much as 8.2 but if I go for my C25K training I go for 6.7.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Walking fast about 3.2 Crusing Steady 2.8 I will run at 5.0-6.0 for like a minute then go back around 3.0 then in few minutes run fast again like only a min. I just kinda play on it..
  • williamsge
    williamsge Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and I can walk on the treadmill up to 4.5 without having to jog, but this was built up over time. I started walking at a 3.7. Keep at it and you will improve your speed. Short legs can move with practice lol.
  • pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5' 4" (162 cm) tall, and do a brisk walk on the treadmill at 4 MPH, and am jogging at 6 MPH. When I first started exercising regularly I could barely manage a 3.5 MPH walk for more than 30 minutes or so, but I've slowly increased my stamina. I only just started jogging, so I get out of breath if I jog for more than 3 minutes or so. I'm working up to longer stretches of jogging, but the point is to get my heart rate up to aerobic level, or about 140 BPM.
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I will definitely keep at it and just keep working on my endurance as well as my speed. And hopefully my short legs will be able to run at 5.0 or faster for a good amount of time. ;)
  • gloriagm
    Options
    Hi,

As a personal trainer and group fitness instructor, here is my advice.

The rate of speed on a treadmill depends on the individual. Height, weight, fitness level, all depends. Start with a warm up pace, around 1.5-2.0 mph. This should be a slow leisurely, like walk. You want to warm up your muscles, joints and slowly increase heart rate. Then after 3-5 minutes, slowly increase speed. As a mentioned, speed depends on you. I'm tall, 4.0 is a pretty fast walk, but 6 is a run. If you feel you're working then 3.0-3.3 is a good speed for you. Over time it will get easier and the 3.5 won't be as challenging. Doing a fast speed for only one minute is how you get faster and burn even more calories. You can also change the workouts to increase the incline (don't go too fast with the incline).

So, you are on the right track. Always do what feels best for you. Hope this helps.

Keep up the good work!
    Gloria
  • GoldSag1
    GoldSag1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and a fast walk for me is 3.0-3.2. I have started jogging at 3.5 for about 10min or so and then 4.0 for 1min. I can feel I am getting a good workout, so I'll just slowly work my way up the speed ladder.
  • GoldSag1
    GoldSag1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and a fast walk for me is 3.0-3.2. I have started jogging at 3.5 for about 10min or so and then 4.0 for 1min. I can feel I am getting a good workout, so I'll just slowly work my way up the speed ladder.

I forgot to mention if I do more than this(regarding speed) my shins start to hurt. Hopefully this will subside with time.