Eat for the weight you want to be

Options
13»

Replies

• nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the whole article, but this is basically what I've been doing. I got the idea from the podcast fat2fit radio and had been on many diets in the past. I was terrified to eat as much as I had calculated, but I figured since everything else hasn't worked, I would give it just one month to see what would happen. I have been pleased with the results. I try to net around 1900 cals a day (I do try to eat my exercise calories, but do not always succeed in all of them). I also go over my calories some days, so I think it all evens out every week anyway. This is a few hundred over my BMR. It's a lot of food if you eat the right stuff and cook at home. I still eat the things I want instead of depriving myself but try to not go too crazy or over my daily calories too frequently. I've consistently lost weight thus far and have not hit a plateau. So hey, it works for me and I'd highly recommend it for people who don't have a ton of weight to lose. I am losing around 1lb per week and am very happy with it. As I get closer to my goal and it starts to really slow down, I will obviously play with my calorie goal and lower calories appropriately to get to my ideal weight. I wish I had done this years ago.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump....

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Some good concepts here, fro one you immediately know how life will be after thety reach their goal. Too many people go into a diet with the idea they can eat whatever they want after they reach their goal. If this calorie level can not sustain your lifestyle, might want to pick a different goal.

This also has burn down in calorie deficit built right in, going with the concept you can lose X% of your body weight per month. As you lose more weight you calorie deficit will automatically decrease well...only problem is starting out this difference could be very unrealistic for sustained weight loss.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    So to get to 180, I need to be eating 2700 cals? Somehow I think that's wrong.... :)

You realise when you get to 180 that is what you will need to eat to maintain right?
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Can't you just go to the goals section on MFP and change your current weight TO your goal weight? Then set it to 'sedentary' and 'maintain'? Then eat what MFP sets it at? Then if you workout you would eat back exercise calories? Or will it not work that way because of my current BMR---because it would be different for my 'goal' BMR?

I just tried exactly what you suggest. I set my weight to my goal weight, sedentary, and maintain. My suggested calorie intake was 100 calories more per day (1710) than it is now, at my current weight, sedentary, and lose 1 1/2 lbs per week (1610). So, pretty close.

The interesting thing is, I hadn't lost any weight in some time. Last week after reading some threads here on the subject, I decided to up my calories from 1380 to 1610. I decided I'd give it six weeks to see how it went. I lost 1 1/2 pounds this week. It's only one week so I'm not getting too excited about it yet, but I think there's some merit in the idea of eating for your future self...it's at least worth giving a try for a few weeks. Granted I still have over 100 pounds to lose, so it might work out differently for someone who doesn't have as far to go as me.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I'm not totally against the concept, but in particular if a person has a lot of weight to lose it might just be too big of a deficit. I do something similar, but take calories off the amount, all be it not too much. That, BTW, is what fat2fit radio suggests, eat at your goal calories until you are getting somewhat close to your goal, then maybe take 250 off that to keep the weight loss going. The one big plus of this is unlike MFP which has many people eating below their BMR, this would generally not have a person doing that unless they were quite a way off from their goal weight. Fat2Fit radio has a good tool for figuring it out http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • raw14
    raw14 Posts: 22
    Options
    bump --- for later great concept, not sure if it would be good for people with a lot of weight,but with moderate weight I think it is great.
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bump :)