Eating Out

Options
Hi all, quick question for you...

I'm planning on going out for a meal wednesday or thursday,( Bella Italia). I've looked online at the menu and the calorie content and chosen a starter and a main from the menu, but it still comes to 900+ Cals.

Am i right in thinking that if i limit my calories in the days leading up to the meal and try and 'bank' exersise calories, it shouldnt effect my weight loss this week.. any advice would be appreicated! thanks

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    enjoy it! we all deserve meals out every so often! :)
  • pixiesx3
    pixiesx3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This weekend I ended up eating out a lot due to activities that were outside of my home. I watch what I order and avoid things like sauces on foods and dressings ON salads (ask for them on the side). Sometimes I will eat only half of the bread on a sandwich. I also avoid mayonnaise on my sandwiches. Some days I am hungrier than others, too!

The great thing about your lifestyle change vs. your "diet" is that you are learning to eat in moderation but you still get to make those choices. Some days you may eat heavier than others while other days you eat lighter. I look at the overall 7 days to gauge my average daily food. There are certain schools of thought that say you might even do well by "spiking" once in a while with your caloric intake (eat a lot more than usual one day and go back to regular eating and exercising the other days). I cannot speak to that as I have not tried it.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is... you are learning to make better choices with your food and exercise. Perhaps you only eat half of the main dish and skip the "starter". Take the other half of the main dish home and have it another day. Regardless of your choice, enjoy what you eat and don't feel guilty. Just keep on going with your healthier you!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I'm planning on going out for a meal wednesday or thursday,( Bella Italia). I've looked online at the menu and the calorie content and chosen a starter and a main from the menu, but it still comes to 900+ Cals.

Am i right in thinking that if i limit my calories in the days leading up to the meal and try and 'bank' exersise calories, it shouldnt effect my weight loss this week.. any advice would be appreicated! thanks

don't think short term "this week" think longer term.

There is no harm in going over you cals here and there, just as long as you get back on track the next day.

So just get whatever you want and forget about calorie counts for the day
  • mmhenry28
    mmhenry28 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Personally I always make sure that I work out alot on days I want to go out for dinner.

Maybe dont have a starter and for your main, eat half of your meal and take the other half home.

But also if you go over your cals for one day its not really that bad as long as you get back on track the next day, drink HEAPS of water and have an extra healthy day the next one.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    What I have done on days like this (very few though) is to workout like a maniac i.e. take a 2 hour bikeride etc. to burn mega calories so I have them to eat. I agree that if you do this once in awhile it won't hurt, but if you start doing it more and more you'll get back to where you started. If you don't want to be a maniac like me, then I suggest you plant super light calorie meals for the rest of your day, drink lots of water and try to only eat half the portion size they give you. Enjoy!
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    When we're eating out, I make sure I do enough exercise that day to give me lots of extra calories! I often have meals of well over 1000 calories, but am still under my calorie goal if including exercise calories! Good luck though, whatever you decide to do!
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    Eat half the meal, bring the other half home. Make a good food choices, this is a life style food change.
  • jo2907
    jo2907 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks All for your your responses,

I'm still not sure what to do yet. I want to do extra exersise but i'm not feeling great at the moment! :o)
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Thanks All for your your responses,

I'm still not sure what to do yet. I want to do extra exersise but i'm not feeling great at the moment! :o)

If the question reduces down to whether or not you should enjoy your night out by splurging a little on calories, the answer (from me) is yes, you should.

If you feel the need to bank some calories ahead of time, you can do that. Alternately, you can adjust the days afterward.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

don't think short term "this week" think longer term.

There is no harm in going over you cals here and there, just as long as you get back on track the next day.

So just get whatever you want and forget about calorie counts for the day
    Couldn't have said it better myself :happy:

The biggest secret to losing weight effectively and keeping it off.... enjoying life! Being happy doing what you so is so important!