Running Shoes

I have REALLY bad shin splints and it's time for new shoes.
Does anyone have any input on good shoes?

I'm thinking of Nike or Brooks running shoes?

Replies

• melissa2ca
    melissa2ca Posts: 21 Member
    I have REALLY bad shin splints and it's time for new shoes.
    Does anyone have any input on good shoes?

I'm thinking of Nike or Brooks running shoes?
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    I am all NIKE I tried others and they did my shins in for the worse. I am all about the shocks for running JMO...

dd
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    I'm all reebok, I like the cushion it gives my heels and the cushion around my toes. If you've liked New Balance or Nikes in the past you will probably not like the fit of Reeboks they are a very different cut. (I'm talking running shoes not cross trainers or walking shoes)
  • I have heard that you can tone your shins by walking on the heels of your feet. Do it for so many min. a day and you will strengthen the muscles that flap on the bone when you run. That is what causes shin splints.
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    I'd recommend going to The Running Room (not sure if they have this store in the states?). They were really knowledgeable and helped me pick out a pair of shoes that are perfect for my feet. Maybe not the prettiest things, but . . .

Me, I just want a super-cute pair of those Nike Shocks. Preferably pink!
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    I just bought a pair of ASICS about a month ago and I love them.

I agree though that the best thing to do is go to a running store. I did that and they went through all this stuff to fit me to the right shoe. The shoes there were a little more expensive but really worth it.

I found out some things I never knew about buying running shoes, like you actually want them to have pretty good room in the toe. To fit me correctly I had to go up a whole size in the brand I wanted.
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Nike, although New Balance is good too. I sell shoes! :happy:

:heart: Kels
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Aisics or saucony. After you try aisics you will never go back to Nike or rebok or any of the "popular" brands. I have 6 pairs of aisics and one pair saucony. You know you only get about 10,000 miles out of a pair of shoes, and to help them maintain their cushion you should not wear the same pair two days or two workouts in a row. Let them dry and pop up again and they will last.
  • zenmama
    We have a shoe store here in CT that you can go try on the shoes and actually run in them..then they will custom fit a shoe for you and your foot/arch type. It is called the "Run in"...

dd

:smile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I am all about the New Balance. At the store, their salespeople will actually watch you walk barefoot, and take your pronating or lack thereof into account.

I have a bad knee, and they're the only shoes I can walk/eliptical in without repercussions.
  • laxgirl
    laxgirl Posts: 27
    I love Nikes, but I've found that women's Nikes run narrow. I would go to a specialty store and see what they have to say, so you can invest in the best shoes for your feet.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Whoa! 10,000 miles? You should change them between 3 & 500 miles! No wonder you guys have shin splints!

I have a stress fracture from h.s. that I ran on in college (cross-country, indoor & outdoor track). For me, Nike is the only shoe with enough motion control, arch, and width. I have little fat feet! Look for the Bill Bowerman series (there's a black & white portrait inside the heel). He was Prefontaines coach if you don't know who he was. They are serious Runner's running shoes!

My husband swears my mizuno's. Very stable, a bit heavier than others, but to get the control, that's what you need. But he also wears Nike.

You could check the nike outlet, I've never paid more than $60 for my shoes! One other thought, pick up a pair of second-wind insoles. They are a lot cheaper than super feet, and absorb SO much shock. They will take some time to adjust to, but you will never go back!
  • zenmama
    10,000 miles those shoes need to go....OUCH!

dd
  • oldbag
    oldbag Posts: 13
    I have feet like a duck - very wide through the toes. New Balance for me and I have never had shin splints. Go for the highest number series you can get because they have better support and durability.
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    I had the same problem and went to a running specialty store. Turns out most people with shin splints have arches that turn inwards. A stability shoe is the best option for that. Any good athletic stores should be able to point you in the right direction. Adidas are my favorite.
  • melissa2ca
    melissa2ca Posts: 21 Member
    Thank you for all your great feedback. :noway:

I had a pair of Brooks Addiction 7 I believe they are called that I tried out tonight. Didn't help my shins, in fact I felt like I had an xtra 10 pounds lugging around on my feet! LOL

I have just ordered the Nike Air Equalon 2.

In the past year or two I've tried Asics, which I hated. They lasted me maybe one month and I had to get heel inserts for them because they were giving me blisters on the inside of my heels. I've tried 2 pairs of Saucony and while I like them, they rub the back of my heel raw, to the point I Have to fold socks over to protect.

So...I'm going back to Nike again to give it a try. I'll let y'all know how it works out. I do have over pronating feet, so you all are right that I need something with great stability. I"m just tired of the unbearable pain that comes when I am running, especially since I enjoy the "High" I get from passing my third mile!
  • I think different shoes just work for different people. I'm a Saucony person. I just bought Asics and don't really like them. I'm going to get Saucony's again. I did like the Nike Air Pegasus in the past, but they became history when I was introduced to Saucony!

As far as your shin splints go, wrap them when you run. Run much less, and much slower than normal until they heal, and ice them after runs/workouts. I just learned this on runnersworld.com. I'm suffering with shin splints right now as well. According to the website, mine came from doing too much too soon, or bad shoes. I know my shoes were at least a year old, so I blame them.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I get really bad shin splints as well. Part of it is your running form, but I have found that Nike Pegasus are great to run in. They're made for running, so they're several ounces lighter than other tennis shoes like cross trainers or walkers.
  • JPRexRun
    JPRexRun Posts: 27 Member
    Asics 2120.... they're the highest rated running shoes for women. They cured my shin splints (combined with a few runs on the sand/dirt), but have unfortunately been discontinued. You can still find them online. Very true sizing. They got me through training and finishing my first marathon!
  • i too am a runner and custom made shoes are excellant. Another thing to do if the shin splints continue is to work on your stride. If it is too long or short of a stride then it can cause your heel to strike funny and cause the impact to hurt your shins.