Refuse to eat the Low Cal version....

Options

Replies

• hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I eat everything full fat version. Just less of it and more salad or veggies on the plate.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything. I eat full-fat and calorie versions of everything and have been learning to limit my portions.
    I like. I'm willing to try the low cal version of most things. If it tastes 90% as good and saves a significant number of calories, fine with me, I'll probably eat the low-cal version. But it has to be pretty close to tasting as good as the full-cal version. I'm not going to miserably chew through something to save a few calories, knowing that a full-cal version exists that tastes a whole lot better. That just seems like rigid torture.

Brands matter a lot. I go back and forth with cottage cheese, which I love. I swore off low fat for awhile, because I was eating brands that didn't have a good low fat version. I had to buy low fat when traveling recently and found some I loved. Some things I prefer the low-cal version, like milk. Of all the cow milk varieties, I like 2% best (taste, texture, etc.).
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I like froyo from the places that are popping up all over faster than a teenager gets zits, but I love ice cream!

Really, the only thing I do "low cal" is the the Newman's Own "Lighten Up" Honey Mustard dressing. For everything else, I eat the regular versions. I do try to healthy some stuff up, like, using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream for potatoes, lower-fat cuts of meat, etc. But I don't that fats are necessarily "bad" for you...moderation is my key.
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything. I eat full-fat and calorie versions of everything and have been learning to limit my portions.

^^This. If I tell myself that I cannot have something it makes it harder to stick to it. :happy: Everything in moderation!
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    ever notice how the "lighter" portions of meals at restaurants always cost a LOT more? I tend to pay by the calorie.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I will make a healthier version of just about anything I can. But some things like chicken wings, baby back ribs, brats or mashed potatoes there just really isn't any way to make them healthy. So I just limit how often I eat thing like that.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    ranch. it's either full calorie or none at all. thanks.

^ THIS....fat free/low cal ranch tastes awful!!!!!!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Can you find low cal pad thai? The stuff isn't all that bad to begin with. It would be like eating low cal sushi, and that ain't gonna happen.

Pad Thai is awful for calories! It can be 1200 calories for one serving!
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Portions are definitely important! It's just funny, with my brother needing to be in weight for wrestling, we will try to make 'healthy' junk foods. A lot of them are really great, but sometimes you just have to smile and forget that you are eating a gluten free, vegetarian piece of lasagna.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Can you find low cal pad thai? The stuff isn't all that bad to begin with. It would be like eating low cal sushi, and that ain't gonna happen.

1200 Delicious, Delicious calories.......
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options

Wow really? Its hard to guestimate when I buy it at restaurants...I always figure around 800-900 cals if I ate the whole thing for sure.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options

I agree, it's extremely yummy, but:
    http://www.healthzone.ca/health/dietfitness/thedish/article/975093--the-dish-pad-thai-worse-for-your-waist-than-four-mcburgers

Wow really? Its hard to guestimate when I buy it at restaurants...I always figure around 800-900 cals if I ate the whole thing for sure.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I don't like Light beer in general; it tastes watered down to me and I can't get over that.
    I prefer 2% or skim milk over whole milk.
    I like Light ranch dressing, but add Feta, Bleu, Pecorino Romano or Gorgonzola to all my salads.
    I generally have balsamic based dressings with cheese though.

I don't like regular soda pop, the diet versions taste way better to me. I react poorly to regular syrup, jams, and jellies, much prefer sugar free versions. I end up with moderate hypoglycemia about an hour after eating them. I've never had a problem with chocolate though, thankfully. :wink:
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Crab Cakes.... have tried a few skinny versions lately and it's just not cutting it!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I agree on sugar.......I don't care what people say the artificial stuff does not taste good at all!

AGREED X 1000!!
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. That PB2 and Better Than PB stuff is insulting to me. THAT is how much I love nut butter.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    everything. Anytime i have tried to make the "low fat" or "healthy" version of anything, it comes out tasting like crap!

I'd rather eat the full calorie versions and just work it into my daily goals.

Also most of the low-fat or low calorie foods are full of unhealthy crap anyways so what's the point
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I only use skim milk because anything higher tastes "weird" to me. I like light sour cream, I think it's pretty much the same texture/flavor as the full fat. I once tried fat free cream cheese (and fat free cheddar) and NEVER again will I do that. It was one of the worst culinary experiences for me! The ONLY reduced fat cheese I will eat is cabot 50% light cheddar, but I moved about 6 weeks ago and I've been getting the sharp (full fat) version and just not eating the whole bar at once (portion control is key!). Messing with cheese is a big mistake! Once I learned the truth about reduced fat peanut butter (replacing the healthy fats with carbohydrates/sugar) I will never get that again. I also eat fat free greek yogurt when I do eat yogurt, and I do enjoy that. I'm not opposed to having more fat in it, the store brand I get only has it available as fat free (and again I do enjoy it so I'm ok with it). As for recipes, I've successfully made stuff that still tastes amazing while using skim milk or other light items, it's really all about the recipe that you're making and how many ingredients you're replacing with light. Some things just will not taste as good if you don't use the regular version of the ingredients, no matter what.
  • orcoast71
    orcoast71 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bacon from the pig, none of that turkey bacon! It's not real bacon (in my book at least).

And butter.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, does anyone else have any dishes that they Refuse to make 'diet'?

Like, with my dad, you Never try to make twice-baked potatoes healthy. Seriously. Don't even try.

And with me, Pad Thai. I want the sauce and all the noodles and a TON of Peanuts and Shrimp. I would rather go without eating, then eat a low-cal version.

Almost everything!

Ive decided that while it doesn't hurt to pay attention to what I'm cooking and how many calories go in there, I'm not going to seek out artificially low calorie versions in order to allow me to continue eating more than I need (no miracle noodles in my kitchen!)

I aim to eat a moderate amount of "real" food. My theory is that if I want to stay at a healthy weight in the long term that I need to learn about moderation and portion sizes and low cal versions don't teach you this.