Struggling with Maintaining

Options
Hi Everyone,

Well I joined MFP a few weeks ago, and absolutely love the tool so far. I've been struggling with maintaining my weight, and really have a hard time trying not to fluctuate. Let's see...my weight has risen and dropped so many times I can hardly keep track!

I was 140 in 2003 and my weight slowly rose to 189 in 2006. I went on a phentermine diet as given by my doctor and lost 30 lbs in six months. I slowly put all the weight back on, plus some, and was at my heaviest 199 lbs in 2009. I started a lifestyle change in 2010, and lost 50 lbs all by myself, working out and eating right, over the span of a year. But my weight has slowly started to increase again, and I've gained 16 lbs since my huge weight loss.

I'm struggling to maintain my weight, and stay on a regular work out routine and diet plan. I know exactly what I have to do, but keep putting it off for "next week", and the scale keeps rising each week. I definitely do not want to gain all of the weight back, and want to lose the weight and be healthy.

Any tips, tricks, stories as to how I can help to maintain?

Thanks everyone,

Stefanie

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I think you have to find some activies you LIKE to do vs HAVE to do (exercise) ie... hiking, volleyball, basketball, swimming, climbing, biking etc... martial arts.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Be sure to accomodate your caloric intake on the days you don't work out. Maintenance to me is harder than losing. Good luck.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Unless your diet and workout program is consistent, your weight won't be consistent.

Nothing to it but to do it.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Please don't take offense but you gotta just do it and stick with it. Set backs are part of the experience. Just continue on....
    Good luck! Yes and find activities & foods that you like. Plan what you're doing. You can do it
  • Gwendalyne
    Gwendalyne Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You have to look at it as a lifestyle change. Look for things and foods you can eat that are healthy for the rest of your life, and not just to lose weight. What happens, is we lose the weight and go right back to old habits and then regain weight. Maintaining and weight loss is all in the eating w/added exercise...if you eat healthy and work out 3-5 times a week you will be able to maintain your weight loss. Sure occassional treat is ok, but not an everday thing...best of luck to you
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i did the exact same thing as I was down to 155 and maintained 160 for a yr and a half and then just got lazy. now need to get a lot off. maintenance should be the same as losing. dont change anything. you will gain it back! you just have to suck it up and tell yourself this is where you are. youve done it once and you can do it again.then i started back on mfp last wk and ive lost 3 and half already and went back to the gym! so happy! add me if you like. i know what your going thru!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is the hardest part, because we tend to let go, eat, and pretty soon we are back where we left off. That is why MFP has to be a daily part of life.

I was reading that even 100 extra calories per day could translate into a 1.5 lb weight gain per month, and gaining back at that rate means 15 extra pounds at the end of 10 months.

So, yes, it's a struggle. But then so is losing again after gaining it all back. The thing is to eat so that you aren't hungry, and to exercise, exercise, exercise. And keep a record of how your body functions, so that you can stabilize both your calorie intake and your metabolism so that it is no longer in that hunter starve when the game is low, and fatten up again when it's plentiful cycle.
  • jaci34
    jaci34 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm also on maintenance and it is hard. I wish I had more tips for you. I have started logging my food again because I have gotten off track and have no idea how many calories I have been taking in. Have you been tracking your food? If not I would encourage that. I also go up and down in weight. When I get up I have to work hard to get down, which means eating around 1200 cals and working out!