FATTY LIVER DISEASE

Options
My daughter went to the doctor today and he told her that she had fatty liver disease and needed to lose at least 100 pounds. She said the extra fat was causing her liver to scar. Is there anyone else here with this problem?
Jenn

Replies

• dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My brother had this. He lost weight, bikes 20 miles a day and is doing great.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Did he tell her that it will often heal itself once the weight comes off? Of course no guarantees but should improve
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Wow - if that isn't a wake up call I don't know what is.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    My brother in law has it, but it's due to alcohol, not his weight.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    My husband is working through a similar diagnosis with his doctor right now. He's not sure (waiting for bloodwork) if he has the disease (which is hard to reverse) or just signs of fatty liver, but obviously a careful diet and exercise are never going to hurt when it comes to taking care of your liver.

The liver is responsible for cleaning and flushing your system, so the "cleaner" you eat, the better for your liver. He's trying to cut out alcohol altogether (not a big drinker anyway...maybe 1-2 beers a week), eat less sodium and processed food, etc.

I would advise her to talk to her doctor about the best way to go about losing 100 pounds.
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am working on this exact issue right now. I was diagnosed about two months ago... not by my doctor but by the insurance company! They denied me insurance coverage because of it :( Anyway, my Drs. were not the greatest help in the world, so of course I changed. It was then confirmed by more blood work and an ultrasound. We may be doing a biopsy in January if the numbers don't turn around with some weight loss.

The one thing I have realized with eating, if my fat content is over the recomended by MFP, the next day I have a REALLY BAD Day.. Migraines, muscle pain, nausia. I am seeing the Endo today and plan to ask him about this "phenomenon".

If you would like to be friends feel free to add me.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Dr. Ann Louise Gittleman talks a lot on this subject in her book Fat Flush Plan, it may be worth looking into.