Tips on how survive Disney

Options
ls_66
ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
So Saturday we will be leaving for Disney, my daughter has a soccer tournament there and it's gonna be a celebration for both my daughter and my son's birthday...... I need tips on how to survive a week of Disney food.... I don't think you are allowed to bring any food inside the parks..... I don't want to put any weight back !!!! The good news is that we will be walking alot so share your experience on how to deal in such situation

Replies

• oharabears
    Options
    If Disney really were "The Happiest Place on Earth", the calories you eat there wouldn't count...
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'll need to check this out later. I think I am going to visit Disney sometime soon and boy am I excited!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    well, do they have any grilled chicken sandwiches or salads there? you coudl take the bun off the sandwich and just eat the meat with a salad? or see if they have veggies with anything or fruit instead of fries? probably don't eat a lot of desserts. the nice thing is that disney is a lot of walking.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Which Disney? The Anaheim one has some nice restaurants in Downtown Disney. You can get a hand stamp, go to a nice lunch then go back in.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    You can do this! But, you have to plan - really plan. You know where you'll be staying and most likely the restaurants you'll be wanting to go to. Do some research before you go and stick to your plan. Walk everywhere you can. During soccer games, go for a walk. Get up early and go for a walk if you can.

I'm not trying to make light of your reasons for going - of course you should enjoy the soccer games and your son's birthday, but you can accomplish both of those things while still keeping on track. But it's not gonna happen by coincidence. Failure to plan is planning to fail.
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    Both the parks in Anaheim and Orlando have healthier options if you are willing to look for them. As I remember, many of them have fruit and veggie trays you can buy, just about any counter service restaurant will have a salad option, and if you dine in any of the fine dining places there are plenty of healthy and delicious options. They sell more than just soda too, I've seen Smart water, Dasani, Powerade, Simply Lemonade, and fruit juices. And I've never been told I couldn't bring in food, as long as you don't try to bring in sharp knifes to cut food or any glass containers. Take fruit or nuts along for snacking when the churros or popcorn get tempting, and you'll be fine :)

(I have been to the park in Anaheim more times than I can count and Orlando 4 times, Always a blast!)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Spend all your time on "Mission Space" and you won't have time to eat. Best ride ever!!!!!(besides The Mummy at Universal.)
  • Saksgirl1
    Options
    The good news is you will be doing A LOT of walking and standing around... and by A LOT I mean A LOT!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    lots of Turkey legs...
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    We are going shortly after Thanksgiving...for a week. I was planning on just switching to maintenance mode and enjoying myself a little while down there. We're on the dining plan and that means dessert comes with the meals...can you say TEMPTATION!?!? I plan to keep in check with my BodyMedia Fit and I'm hoping to burn lots of calories walking around all day so I can eat and be merry! ;o)
  • mkam1980
    mkam1980 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You can take food in to all the parks and your own water. I packed breakfast, snacks, and lunch. I only had to find a place for dinner, 99% of the places had a grilled chicken something, salads, and real fresh delicious fruit. HAVE TONS OF FUN!!!
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    lots of Turkey legs...

My high school sang at EpCot for Christmas. I lived on turkey legs the whole time I was there. Yurp.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the comments !!! Will pack protein bars, water and some fruit and look for healthier food options
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    which disney one are you going to? florida? or california?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Failure to plan is planning to fail.

Well aren't you a debbie dower...

To OP:
    It's Disney. If it was me, I'd let myself go for a week and pick it up when I get back.

Life is too short not to enjoy a Micky Ice Cream Bar or a Churro every now and then :)
  • dancer4275
    Options
    Oh! You will have such a fun time! Disney is my favorite place in the world! I've been there so many times! Going there in a few weeks actually! I'm pretty sure you can still bring food in. If so, bring lots of healthy stuff! Get water once you're in the park. Also, there are some healthy options. In some restaraunts, they have options like yogurt, sushi, healthy drinks, smoothies, and subs. That is about as good as it gets though! Have fun!
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    well anywho, the one in anaheim, around the park there are places to walk OUTSIDE of the area that are cheaper and will have different options, otherwise now they're pretty good with healthier items. if you want to take snacks and stuff you can pack your bags full of them, get a locker, and just put them in there, i think they put the lockers outside the park and they usually have benches and tables to eat there. downtown disney has some restaurants which is right outside the park, they ar ea little more on the pricey side, but like i said if you're willin to venture outside the park, the streest there are lined with places to eat. i would just stick to proteins, water, fruits. they have stands there now that have fruit and fresh cut fruit so you can buy those, salads otherwise its just he usual hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, candy and churro stuff. i would go in with a full belly as much as you can before entering the park that way you're less tempted to munch, try chewing on some gum when it comes time to eat lunch or dinner so that can make you concentrate more on healthier options.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Failure to plan is planning to fail.

Well aren't you a debbie dower...

To OP:
    It's Disney. If it was me, I'd let myself go for a week and pick it up when I get back.

Life is too short not to enjoy a Micky Ice Cream Bar or a Churro every now and then :)

Gosh, I must have misread his post. I thought he wrote he didn't want to gain any of his weight back. I thought he was seeking advice. Debbie Downer or not, failure to plan is planning to fail.

And, FWIW, I did tell him to not lose sight of the purpose of his trip. I told him to enjoy the soccer games and enjoy his son's birthday - I just offered the insight of having a plan. Plans work. They work in business, they work in sports, and they most certainly work in weight loss.
  • emandbensmom
    Options
    I actually lost weight when we went to Disney in June and "cheated" on my eating plan at least once a day. I brought protein bars, lots of bottled water, almonds and other snacks. Eating healthy at the counter service restaurants is difficult, but at the higher end restaurants is not too much of a problem. You can go online and look up all the menus in advance. I kept a list with me of healthy options I had already scouted out online for each restaurant I thought we might go to.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    You can do this! But, you have to plan - really plan. You know where you'll be staying and most likely the restaurants you'll be wanting to go to. Do some research before you go and stick to your plan. Walk everywhere you can. During soccer games, go for a walk. Get up early and go for a walk if you can.

I'm not trying to make light of your reasons for going - of course you should enjoy the soccer games and your son's birthday, but you can accomplish both of those things while still keeping on track. But it's not gonna happen by coincidence. Failure to plan is planning to fail.

i agree. to the OP, you are a grown man. you should know what is good food and not good food. if you really want to lose weight or at least maintain while on this vacation, you must plan the work, work the plan. pack a lunch and leave it in the car if you can't trust yourself while in the park.