Massive weight gain & I have no idea why

Options
This past month I've gained a tremendous amount of weight and I have no idea why.

I'm always under or met my calorie intake.

I workout every single day from anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours (including running & Jillian tapes).

I feel that maybe it might be my fruit intake, I might be eating too much. but I don't eat chocolate, I don't eat junk food/fastfood and I eat a small amount of meat.

This month has been strange, I did get my period 2 weeks early and I don't know if that's a factor in this weight gain.

I really don't know what to do, has anyone experienced this? My body (which in september I was quite pleased with) has drastically changed and I don't understand it it.

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    What's "Tremendous"?
  • dmpizza
    Options
    What's "Tremendous"?
  • sabrixx
    Options
    Honestly, I haven't gone on the scale because I'm terrified. But at least two-three inches around my hips, thighs, and waist.
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor ~ there may be something going on. If you've gained more than 7 lbs, I'd get in there quickly. Rapid weight gain and irregular bleeding can be symptoms of serious medical conditions. Are you noticing an increase in size anywhere in particular? Abdomen? I'm guessing you may need some blood work and/or an ultrasound..... Good luck, and don't ignore it!!
  • sabrixx
    Options
    I was thinking about going to see my doctor, thanks I will.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Take a pregnancy test.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    It could be hormonal and is probably water. But you might try mixing your workouts up. Sounds like you do fairly long workouts daily. Try doing short, intense workouts three times a week and up your calorie intake for a few days.
  • soccergal95
    Options
    How much under are you in your calorie intake? If it is too low then your body may go into starvation mode and hold onto everything that you do eat, causing you to gain weight. My advice is to raise your calories to your suggested amount, and if you go over by 10 or 20 calories not to freak out. Also, lean meat is good for you if you take a serving size. If you're cutting it out of your diet then you are loosing protein your body needs. Other then that it sounds like you're doing everything right! I hope this helped!
  • alliebeck2
    Options
    If you have inexplicable weight gain, it would be wise to:

1. limit sodium intake
    2. drink more water
    3. do you already weigh all your food on a kitchen scale? If not, you should; it's very easy to underestimate how much you're eating without it.
    4. do you have a heart rate monitor with a chest strap? You need to get a good idea of how many calories you're actually burning when you work out (MFP notoriously overestimates calories burned), so if you don't have a programmable HRM that lets you input weight, height, and gender, then it's time to get one.
    5. are you taking your measurements? Are they changing?

As you can see, there are a few options for why you may have gained weight: either you're eating more than your burning, you're retaining water, or you're building muscle. The tips above should help you determine which it is.
  • dmpizza
    Options
    That is a lot for about two months with no explanation. Like someone else said, see a DR, bit I am sure you will be OK.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Definitely see your doctor.
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I'm going through that right now as well. Gained about 10 pounds in a couple months. I have been watching food intake and moving more (everyday). It isn't muscle gain, I've taken measurements too. It's quite frustrating! All the hard work seems to be putting me in reverse...:mad:
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    This past month I've gained a tremendous amount of weight and I have no idea why.

I'm always under or met my calorie intake.

I workout every single day from anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours (including running & Jillian tapes).

I feel that maybe it might be my fruit intake, I might be eating too much. but I don't eat chocolate, I don't eat junk food/fastfood and I eat a small amount of meat.

This month has been strange, I did get my period 2 weeks early and I don't know if that's a factor in this weight gain.

I really don't know what to do, has anyone experienced this? My body (which in september I was quite pleased with) has drastically changed and I don't understand it it.

lol get on the scale. you need information.
    if you have really worked out for a solid month, you need a day of rest..or two or three. could be you are retaining fluids. your diary isn't public so we can't see what you've been eating.
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    Take a pregnancy test.
    Ditto. This is the first thing that came to mind. Especially since your period was early (if it was a lighter cycle, it could have been implantation bleeding). Best to see the doctor to be sure though. Good luck!
  • tamarawisniewski
    tamarawisniewski Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider eating more each day and lessen your workouts...the starvation mode is a possiblitly. You may need to shake up your metabolism.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    what is your favorite color?
  • elizarm
    Options
    Take a pregnancy test.
    Ditto. This is the first thing that came to mind. Especially since your period was early (if it was a lighter cycle, it could have been implantation bleeding). Best to see the doctor to be sure though. Good luck!

Exactly what I was thinking...!
  • saraannefrazer
    saraannefrazer Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    it could be fluid retention from your period perhaps? or id take a pregnancy test just to be sure ? Also if you are on the pill and you skjip two days your period will come.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Period 2 weeks earlier? I don't know anything scientifically, but when my friend had thyroid problem the number of days between her period was obviously shortened.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have also gained weight by following directions. I eat 1200 calories a day, no fast food, no cocktails. I have seen all the doctors, the endocronolist, the kidney doctor, the cardiologist, the GP. When I told them I was eating 1200 calories they said "Eat Less". Also saw the orthopedist. So I ate 600 calories, more like starved and down when the weight, So, everyone said eat the 1200, exercise more. Well I gained 4 pounds. I am 60 so there is no period involved. I am so depressed. Anyone older have this issue. I have never had a weight problem when I smoked. Now I am overweight. Also, when I was in my 20s to 40s if I wanted to lower my weight 10 pounds, I would give up chips and off came the 10 pounds. TY for allowing me to vent. Feedback from older women would be appreciated.