Still under calorie intake?

Options
I've been on here for a while and I haven't really been overly monitoring what I've been eating but when I do I notice that I'm ALWAYS under the calorie intake that's been recommended on here. At the moment it's 1,200 calories which is considered to be the 'diet' recommendation and I can eat up to that many calories but I'm always under the recommended intake. It's not like I'm starving myself or anything I eat when I'm hungry and I don't over eat while I'm at it. So I basically just want opinions because I know it's not overly healthy to eat under a certain amount of calories but I'm not going to force myself to eat when I'm not hungry either. Help?

Replies

• Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary we can see what you are eating and how much. It would be easier to help that way.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat more volume of food, then have a look at places where you can add a few extra calories - things like full fat yoghurt, avocado, nuts, peanut butter, cheese etc won't fill you up but will give you extra calories and some health benefits too (unless of course you have allergies!).
    As you are already small and it seems like you really want to tone up rather than lose weight, you might be better to increase you calorie intake of healthy foods, you probably don't need to cut back to 1200 and focus on strenght and fitness goals.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    For most people, it's not healthy to be under 1200 calories consistently. Sometimes our bodies get used to eating too little (or too much) and it can be hard to meet your calorie goal. If you can't meet 1200 calories per day you probably need to retrain your body. (I did. I was only eating 400-700 net calories per day.) Add a little extra food to each meal and/or try to add in a couple of snacks. You can add in a glass of juice or a protein shake to get more calories.
  • xdoublerainbow
    xdoublerainbow Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Okay, I think I've opened up my diary so now everyone can see it if they want :) Some days look pretty dodgy foodwise but that's just because I couldn't be bothered finishing the diary so it looks like I've been under-eating but really it's just my own laziness.

I think part of the reason I'm not getting all of the calories is because my mum actually buys 'fat free' 'low carb' and 'low sugar' stuff and that's all we have in our house, so it's not for lack of eating it's because my house is just full of super healthy stuff. I really have no 'bad food' to be tempted by at my house so I'd have to physically go out and buy it myself if I wanted to eat a cookie or something like that. So I think I'll just stick to eating healthy and see what happens for a while, if it doesn't up my calories in a week or so then I'll start having small snacks during the day or something :)