Healthy Foods for a Very Picky Eater?

Options
I'm a fairly picky eater. I don't like a lot of things solely because of texture. I can't handle the way some foods feel. Like yogurt with fruit chunks makes me gag. I can't stand tomatoes or even the tiniest pieces of onion in my food.

Some of my favorite foods are macaroni and cheese, pizza, cheeseburgers, and lasagna (without ricotta). However, I know all those are bad for you.

I usually do well for breakfast and lunch, but I never know what to do for dinner. I also hate to cook because I'm not good at it. I've really got it stacked against me, huh?

I was hoping that some of you out there know some tricks, recipes, anything to help me figure out healthier foods, especially for dinner.

Replies

• raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Maybe make your own pizza so you can control the toppings, if you load with veggies and low fat cheese it isn't too bad. Make a thin crust out of whole wheat flour. Veggie lasanga with low fat cheese?
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If you use spaghetti sauce, blend up bell peppers and onion then add it in, unless you don't like those flavors... this is how I get my kids to eat their veggies!!
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Make the foods you like but use better ingredients. It's not rocket science. You CAN do this. Take a look at my diary. I am a picky eater also. But I have found a way. You can too.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I am really picky.
    I eat a lot of loose ground beef.

Maybe switch to whole wheat pasta?
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I hate yogurt with fruit chunks too! They're like slimy fruit boogers. I eat vanilla and honey Greek yogurts and those aren't chunky at all. I also love to mix sugar free cherry jello powder into plain Greek yogurt. You could use any flavor; I just only like cherry.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Wow, you have the same texture issues that I do! Some healthy things that I eat are: hummus with pretzel chips, vanilla Greek yogurt, Imagine Bistro brand black bean bisque (it's smooth and pureed and it's lower sodium than many soups).
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    I hate yogurt with fruit chunks too! They're like slimy fruit boogers. I eat vanilla and honey Greek yogurts and those aren't chunky at all. I also love to mix sugar free cherry jello powder into plain Greek yogurt. You could use any flavor; I just only like cherry.
    I gotta try the jello, yogurt mix, sounds good. :happy:
  • chezjulie1
    chezjulie1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You obviously like a mix of carb, meat, and cheese, so maybe you could just play around with healthier versions of what you already like. If you had a George Foreman Grill, you could throw a 93% lean beef patty on there and put it on a whole wheat bun with some 2% cheddar. Or maybe you could do an English muffin with Canadian bacon and light cheese on top. There are a lot of healthier frozen pizzas that are pretty good. If you had one of those things with a green salad or baby carrots or something, it would be pretty healthy.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all these great ideas. I really want to try the jello in Greek yogurt!!

I know it isn't hard to figure out, I just have come to a plateau with ideas. The English muffin, bacon, and cheese sounds amazing right now, haha.

I think I'll try blending some veggies into regular spaghetti sauce. The blender I have does puree, so that would get most of the chunks out. Never thought of that.
  • donnairelan
    Options
    Go on a search for a cookbook that has ideas for things you like. There are lots of cookbooks for healthy eating out there. I bought Eating for Life by Bill Phillips and have found that if you type the recipe name in on your food tracker the entire nutrition log is there for you on myfitnesspal. Good luck!