BROWN BAG IDEAS??

Options
I am looking for some ideas on brown bag lunches. I really need some inspiration that doesn't involve dinner leftovers. Anyone? :drinker:

Replies

• PEGGY6296
    Options
    I am looking for some ideas on brown bag lunches. I really need some inspiration that doesn't involve dinner leftovers. Anyone? :drinker:
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are the best! Use whole grain bread, peanut butter without added sugar and whole fruit preserves without added sugar for the best nutritional punch. It's a pretty well balanced sandwich and doesn't need refrigeration!

Another sandwich idea is peanut butter with banana slices. Of course if you don't like peanut butter, you can try almond butter or something similar.

You can cut some apples into wedges and pair them with baby carrots and celery sticks for a crunchy snack... (Grapes, unpeeled kiwi, raw broccoli and cucumber chunks are also fine unrefrigerated...)

Whole grain crackers and a tuna pouch with some fruit & veggies on the side

Homemade trail mix of raw nuts, raisins, and your favorite whole grain cereal

Stuff a whole grain pita pocket with raw spinach and romaine lettuce and wrap it up in foil. Pack a tuna pouch to open and add when you're ready to eat and maybe some Italian dressing (oil & vinegar based dressings are fine at room temp)

These are just some ideas....
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    20050716philwolfinpaper400x300thumb.jpg

Cut out eye holes. It's polite.

:laugh:

Just kidding...I get creative with Sandwich combinations. But my only advice is leftovers. I love bringing leftovers for lunch!! :love:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    20050716philwolfinpaper400x300thumb.jpg

Cut out eye holes. It's polite.

:laugh:

Just kidding...I get creative with Sandwich combinations. But my only advice is leftovers. I love bringing leftovers for lunch!! :love:

too funny! :flowerforyou:
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I mix it up. One day leftovers, one day a sandwich, one day soup or a frozen lunch, then maybe one more day of leftovers. Then I eat out once a week. I also try to pack a lot of healthy snacks (a banana, some almonds, a v8 low sodium) so I am not tempted :devil: by the goodies in the staff room.
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Soup and a big salad (little dressing) is one of my favs

As well as hummus and mini pitas (whole wheat - yummy)

My DH brings a yogurt and apple

if you like peanut butter and bananas (and aren't afraid of recent recalls) another good one is a pb/banana wrap. Use a whole wheat wrap, smear with 1 tbsp of pb, add a banana and wrap it up..

making me hungry
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Some things I bring:

almonds
    piece of fruit
    baby carrots with dressing
    Rice cakes all smooshed up (so they are a snack like popcorn)
    Yogurt
    Apple sauce
    Low fat pudding
    30 g Partially Skim Cheese
    Pickles
    Crackers
    Baked Tortilla chips with salsa

A sandwich:

Lunch meat w/ mustard and calorie wise miracle whip
    Cucumber with miracle whip
    Peanut Butter/Almond Butter & Jam/Honey

I also like to make one batch of a homemade treat once per week (low fat corn muffins, rice crispies, bananna bread, etc.) I usually find the recipes on here! (Thanks everyone!) It takes less than an hour of my time and I have low fat healthy options all week! My husband loves it too :)

I love planning my lunch for the next day the night before! Once your at work you have to eat it b/c thats all you have so my lunch's are usually super healthy.
  • MadTurtle
    Options
    I really like tuna!

Tuna
    Miracle Whip or Miracle Whip Lite or Miracle Whip Free
    Dill Relish
    Chopped Onion or Onion Powder
    Paprika
    Black Pepper
    Minced Garlic or Garlic Powder

Mix to taste and refrigerate the night before

Toast Bunny or Sunbeam Whole Wheat Lite Hamburger Buns ( 70 calories ea.) in bagel toaster or open side only under broiler.

Assemble with lettuce leaf.

Very low calorie.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I always grill some chicken breasts on weekends for the following week. Then for each day I cut up the chicken, add some pea pods, red bell peppers & celery sticks & there it is! The best lunch in town.
  • whidbeyweight
    whidbeyweight Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    string cheese
    jello cups
    and there are so many prepackaged portioned controlled adult lunches near the kids ones, in the refridgerator section near the lunch meat. they might appear spendy but cost less than fast food or vending machine snacks.... i dont think i can mention brands
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    For snacks, I love :
    -Orville Redenbacker 100 cal mini bags - 97% fat free
    -Blue Diamond roasted salted almonds (between 7-14 in a baggie)
    -Reduced Fat Nilla Wafers are VERY crunchy! yum!
    -string cheese (70 cals)

Lunch:
    - Bird's Eye frozen Steamers Individual Bags (sweet peas, corn, or green beans) - 70 cals
    -paired with a Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones meal

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • whidbeyweight
    whidbeyweight Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    well if we can name brands, south beach makes lunch packs like a chicken rollup with slasa and cheese etc, and comes with a jello cup... i dont have microwave access at work everyday so i am always limited
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    When I was eating carbs I would bake a tortilla in the oven until crispy usually inside a metal oven safe bowl *to make the tortilla bowl shaped* ..I would pre pack lettuce and salad items and dressing...then use the tortilla bowl for my salad and when done I would dip pieces of the bowl in homade hummus...You could really baggie anything you like to fill your bowl with...also pretzals and yogurt work well when brown bagging it..I dip my pretzals in my yogurt lol