Morning runners, how do you keep your energy up?

Options
Hi! To all the morning runners out there that have done this succesfully I would love your advice! I have been running for a bit and am wanting to switch to running in the mornings - 5AM ;) And when I have done this in the past I've noticed that I feel completely drained by mid/late morning and my day as a SAHM just drags! No firm deadlines for laundry, lol, so things like this get put off as I'm exhausted! I know I need to work on getting more sleep as I stay up till midnight a lot of nights. But this aside, I am looking for diet tips too. I don't particularly have a problem running on an empty stomach or after eating something. But I hate the idea of eating many calories before, because I will still want to eat bfast with my family at 7. So, then I lose my motivation to run, because I think "well i'm just eating the calories I am then burning off." And I also don't know if I could give up my late night snack altogether. And when I don't eat anything is when I get soooooo exhausted! Any ideas?

Replies

• ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    have a Senior Chief and a Chief yell at you to run faster and hit the gym? That's about the only way I can run in the mornings.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    have a Senior Chief and a Chief yell at you to run faster and hit the gym? That's about the only way I can run in the mornings.

LOL
    just thought the above was funny, the only way i can do my 5-10/11 day on little sleep is with a nanny nap, i put the timer on for 20min then i'm right for the afternoon! sorry i'm not much help!
  • BeckaN80
    BeckaN80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Take a B complex vitamin (usually contains C as well) at lunch. Stimulates red blood cell activity, which in turn increases your energy.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I love the feeling of being up before everyone and doing something! I usually just have coffee w/milk before my run and when I get back I have a fruit/protein shake while stretching. You need to refuel within 30 minutes, I find the quicker I refuel the more energy I have.
  • billtownsend
    billtownsend Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Try to eat small meals 5 or 6 times a day. have a snack before you go out on your run, have breakfast as planed and so on as you need it. This will help keep your energy up through out the day.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Depending on my distance I usually run on an empty stomach in the mornings. Although anything longer than 1.5 hours and I'll have a small breakfast before. Maybe just a piece of toast with some almond butter and some coffee.

I find that when I run in the mornings it usually gives me more energy throughout my day, and I'm also usually hungrier as well.
    Getting enough rest is definitely key as is making sure you're eating enough to keep your energy levels up.
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I dont run that early but I run most mornings. I walk my kids to school then go from there. I rarely feel tired during the day but I am usually in bed and snoring by 9pm, lol. So I sleep a good 9 hours every night. I do not eat before I run because my husband works 2nd shift and is usually home when I get back from my run/walk and we have something for breakfast. I also dont have a late night snack (obviously as I am in bed so early, lol) I usually have 3 meals and a snack somewhere between lunch and dinner. Honestly I feel more energetic now that I am exercising every morning than I ever did before.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I always eat before and after. You SHOULD be eating those cals you burn off. Getting sleep is the #1 most important thing.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    A snack and a coffee before I go works for me. My snack would usually be around 100 - 150 or so cals and I know I'm going to burn 4-500 cals running so it doesn't have a big impact on my day.
    Usually I have half a piece of grainy toast with cheese and tomato or avocado or peanut butter, or some fruit and cheese, or a muesli bar.

Could you split up what you usually have for breakfast so you eat some of it before you go then eat the rest with your family?

I also need to make sure that I drink a few glasses of water before I go then plenty when I come back - otherwise I tend to end up headaches and low energy later in the day.

I find now that if I DON'T run in the morning I'm low on energy during the day :smile:
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I typically work out very early in the morning and have a protein shake (whey protein isolate variety) beforehand. I don't usually eat breakfast until 9 am.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I very rarely get tired. And I used to be a person who had no energy at all!

I now go to bed early around 8.30pm and by the latest 9.30pm. I also eat a smaller meal at night, it means my body is actively trying to work it down, and I seem to get a much better rested sleep. Then I am up and ready at 5am and go to the gym. Do some heavy weights, go to work. After work I also try and go for a run :)
  • faithog
    Options
    I second McPanda... If I'm doing more than 5 or 6 miles, I will have a slice of toast with peanut butter on it before my am runs. I also like to have coffee (usually about a 1/2 mug to 1 mug at least 15 minutes before I take off).

I like eating small meals and snacks throughout the day and it helps me to have some coffee again in the afternoon- around 3p- if I am feeling sluggish. I don't know if this is true- but a friend told me recently that the smell of apples naturally makes you more alert... Try eating apples as an afternoon snack! Maybe it would help!

You mentioned you stay up until midnight? If you are getting up at 4:30 for a 5 am run, I don't see how you plan to NOT be tired! Try hitting the hay by 9 and I bet you will notice a huge difference in your energy levels! 7 hours of sleep should really be the minimum you get =)
  • Spearo
    Spearo Posts: 47
    Options
    There is no reason to eat before any run, even a big race, and some would say especially not before a big race.
    With that I'd say prepare all your gear the night before; lay it our ready to put on. If you really drag *kitten* in the morning, have a coffee ready to go on your coffee maker- first thing you do when you stumble out of bed is turn it on. Have a small glass of water too.

Dont dawdle or lie in bed thinking about it.... get up, go.

Since you didnt eat before the run, have a nice recovery drink like chocolate milk or the same with berries in a smoothy. A key to recovery and not crashing after any workout (that day or the next) is to eat as soon as possible after, ie: for sure within 30 minutes. I think some here would agree with that.

Those are the things I do for when Canadian winter comes and it gets harder to get out of bed and run.

I think the other part of this is that you arent running to be slim. You're running to be fit, to be healthy, to appreciate the moment, and self-esteem.

Get into a habit of how you do this and it will stick.

And SLEEP.

Cheers.
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone! lol @faithog - I know i will need to get to bed by at least 10:30/11 for an early morning run. My kids are down around 8:30 and I just love my quiet time at night! not that I don't love them ;) But yeah, I guess I will be trading an hour in at night for an hour in the morning essentially. Thanks again everyone!
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Eat a bit before and a bit after. Split up your breakfast if you can. Getting to bed early the night before helps also.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i'm up at 0430 to get out for a 5am run. and it does hurt. it's essentially still the middle of the night. but it's worth it.
    i do the early run before my early shift at work (7am start). so, i'll run for about an hour (no breakfast before- i'd feel sick). i ALWAYS make sure i drink one small glass of water- dehydration really shows in my runs and how difficult they are.

i'll eat something after i shower when i get back. and the only way to keep going through the day without flagging is to keep really busy! honestly, i can't sit down and get comfy because i'll be gone. which won't look good at work. i'll make sure i eat morning tea, and i'll have a good lunch too. keep up with the fluids, and make sure you sleep the day before properly.

can you plan a nap into your day? if i could stay home, you can be bloody sure i'd be having a nanna nap!

i hope this makes sense. it's my day off and i'm a bit pissed!
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    When I take off for long haul biking (3 Hrs) I take a scoop of protein shake and BCAA Amino acid 2 caps, carry one banana (eat half of it) for emergency fuel.

At times, I have seen that a stiff cup of coffee helps boost the energy levels and go smooth with the ride!
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM and I know exactly what you mean! I've been getting up for bike/ runs/ swims/ bootcamp at 5am for months now, but still don't seem to be able to get to bed 'early', if I'm in bed by 11.30pm I'm doing well. Initially I used to have a bit of museli bar before I headed out, now I just have some water, and eat when I get back.

I find a good mid afternoon coffee works wonders, if things get really bad I snuggle with the kids infront of a DVD and fall asleep!! I actually feel really energised in the morning and try to get some household tasks done then, but at about 2pm I could just sleep (I'm sure it's the time my little girl used to nap!)
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM and I know exactly what you mean! I've been getting up for bike/ runs/ swims/ bootcamp at 5am for months now, but still don't seem to be able to get to bed 'early', if I'm in bed by 11.30pm I'm doing well. Initially I used to have a bit of museli bar before I headed out, now I just have some water, and eat when I get back.

I find a good mid afternoon coffee works wonders, if things get really bad I snuggle with the kids infront of a DVD and fall asleep!! I actually feel really energised in the morning and try to get some household tasks done then, but at about 2pm I could just sleep (I'm sure it's the time my little girl used to nap!)

WHATS A SAHM???
  • DKLinDeutschland
    Options
    I have an iron gut so I can eat steel cut oats and an egg an hour before running. Otherwise I have zero energy. If I'm keeping the distance below 6 though I can probably get away with just an apple or some yogurt before hand. I count that as my breakfast though and then have milk as my recovery after the run. Coffee work too before an AM workout!