PIlates

Options
Hey guys!
So I am the type of person that loves high intensity workouts such as Zumba, cardio, and spinning. I want to try a Pilates class, but am afraid I wont like it because of the relaxed style. I am wondering if anyone has taken pilates and how you liked it. Also, how is the calorie burn?

Thanks!

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I wear a bodybugg, and the calorie burn for pilates is LOW. I burn around 110 in an hour. That said, I've noticed a big difference in my strength, particularly my core, which I need to be a better rider. I'm starting to get defined abs, my clothes are fitting better, and i sit much better on my horse. So, while the calorie burn isnt doing anything for me, it's helping tremendously in other ways, so I'll keep doing it.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I don't have an HRM so I'm not 100% sure, but according to MFP about an hour of pilates is 170.

It's more intense than yoga... but less so than say, zumba. Definitely more of a focus on strength rather than cardio.

I enjoy it though!
  • kln83
    kln83 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just went to a Pilates class for the first time this morning. It was definitely low intensity and not a sweat maker, but it was a great workout! I found core muscles that I have not worked in any other program that I've done. My tummy is a major problem area for me so I am motivated to keep going and see what Pilates can do for me.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I love Pilates. Depending on your instructor, yes it may be lower intensity than some other types of exercise, but it really strengthens your core muscles. Try a few classes and see how you like it. The first time I went to a Pilates class, I was pretty sore the day after.