NROL for Women... I'm intimidated by how much I have to eat

Options
To anyone else who has followed the New Rules of Lifting for Women - were you intimidated by the menu?

I'm just starting and got my food ready for tomorrow, and it seems like a ridiculous amount with breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner. Heck, I just have breakfast to afternoon snack ready in the fridge to take to work and it looks like I'll need a huge bag to carry it all (oatmeal, rice cakes with cheese and meat, chef salad, apple with peanut butter).

Was anyone else intimidated by the amount of food you're supposed to eat? Did you get used to it fast? I don't know how I'm going to find the time to eat it all.

Thanks for your experiences and any advice you might have.

Edit: Also, what kind of whey protein did you use? I'm going to go to GNC tomorrow to pick something. I'm thinking about getting GNC Natural unflavored. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• 4alison4
    Options
    I can only answer one of your questions. I use CoreActive whey protein (in chocolate) and it tastes great!
  • Cr0wned_Dynam0
    Options
    I don't know what NROL is, but I am sure that if you were to enter your calories for your food, it's not going to be that outrageous, if anything you will be satisfied all day and have enough energy to be as active as you want to be. I have always used Bob's Red Mill Whey Protein Concentrate, it only has two ingredients, no added sugar and a much more natural form of adding protein, and you can find BRM in most grocery stores.
  • stealthxstar
    stealthxstar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I dunno about most of that... but if you don't want chocolate or vanilla protein powder, go for syntrax nectar the fruit flavors are GREAT
  • Saksgirl1
    Options
    Seriously... I think as long as you eat a lot of protein in 4-6 small meals daily you really don't need to follow a menu. And check out ISOPure - It's low cal, low carb, high protein and DELISH!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    We have a group for New Rules. I bet you will get lots of good answers there. :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    I just got this book two weeks ago so I am a newbie. I raised my calories based on the calculations in the book for lift and non lift days. So far, I haven't gone up. I am fighting a cold so I haven't lifted in a few days so I am taking in less calories. Whey protein is great and so are almonds to get your counts up without stuffing yourself to the gills. Everyone is different. Take the calculations and try it for a week and see how your body responds.

Good Luck!
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Ahh great! Thanks for that link! Definitely will check it out, just joined.
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    To anyone else who has followed the New Rules of Lifting for Women - were you intimidated by the menu?

I'm just starting and got my food ready for tomorrow, and it seems like a ridiculous amount with breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner. Heck, I just have breakfast to afternoon snack ready in the fridge to take to work and it looks like I'll need a huge bag to carry it all (oatmeal, rice cakes with cheese and meat, chef salad, apple with peanut butter).

Was anyone else intimidated by the amount of food you're supposed to eat? Did you get used to it fast? I don't know how I'm going to find the time to eat it all.

Thanks for your experiences and any advice you might have.

Edit: Also, what kind of whey protein did you use? I'm going to go to GNC tomorrow to pick something. I'm thinking about getting GNC Natural unflavored. Any other suggestions?

i started out with the nrol and really liked the strength part. i really didnt understand the nutrition part all that well until i got a dedicated trainer and i was able to ask about why and how much and all that. now, it's second nature to me to get in all my macros in as many meals as i need to have, although you don't HAVE to break up your day into 2-3 hour meals. if i am stil hungry after eating a main meal (usually one of my meat proteins and salds/vegetable courses), ill just go on to whatever else is on my menu regardless of how long its been. and....a daily menu is very important, at least for me. my schedule is crazy and to the minute, so i have to be able to throw all mymeals together and take the ingredients with me, which means using frozen meats, precooking and freezing portions, that kind of thing.
    unflavored whey? blech! why not get a flavored? the amp wheybolic 60 is good tasting..at least the chocolate and vanilla flavors are. but i DO keep a jar of unflavored so i can mix it into something real quick if i need to, although thats rare.
    currently i am on 1223 calories, macros are 60/20/20 and this mix is working really well for me...losing about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds a week (although i am cutting for a show and won't do this plan past december 3)
  • aregensb
    Options
    Well, I don't really know what the unflavored tastes like, I've never used whey protein before. I just want something I can mix in everything from milk to oatmeal, and I don't really want to buy a bunch of different kinds because of the flavor. Does unflavored taste that strange?
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    Well, I don't really know what the unflavored tastes like, I've never used whey protein before. I just want something I can mix in everything from milk to oatmeal, and I don't really want to buy a bunch of different kinds because of the flavor. Does unflavored taste that strange?

think old milk :/. not sour...just....if you left a little in the glass for a few hours and then filled it with water. but if you are going to mix it in...go for it. i have all 3 in my kitchen...depends on my mood and if im gonna mix fruit in with it, or if it goes in a recipe (like FFSF jello pudding) or have a chocolate mocha protein shake on my way to work.mmmmmmm i could use one of those about NOW!
  • aregensb
    Options
    Haha okay, well maybe I'll get some chocolate too. I think it's on sale at GNC at the moment, and mixing the chocolate powder with some milk sounds delicious. Thanks very much for your responses everyone!
  • RunningAggie
    Options
    Thanks for posting the topic... I'm still reading my copy of the book and haven't gotten into the nitty gritty of it yet. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions when I do!