First weightlifting session in 5+ years... Suggestions on we

Options
I haven't lifted weights in 5+ years. I'm planning on starting again tomorrow using the New Rules of Weightlifting for Women book as a guideline. The exercises I'll be doing in the next few weeks that require weights will be squats, step ups, barbell deadlifts, dumbbell shoulder presses, and wide-grip lat pulldowns.

Any advice on what weight I should start with or how I should gauge how heavy is too heavy? I don't want to hurt myself, but I want to get a good workout. Even though I haven't lifted, I'm somewhat in shape (do Pilates, Yoga, and cardio exercises a few times a week).

Thanks for your help! :smile:

Replies

• hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    definitely have the protein ready...replenish w/in 30min of a good workout!

I do as heavy as I can through 3 reps of 10...any thing lower doesn't really work for me...WTG!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I am not exactly sure what exercises that routine suggests but if you're doing weight with barbells, start with an empty bar, do 5 reps. Add 10 lbs, do 5 reps and continue that pattern until you are close to failure on your 5th rep while maintaining good form.

That would be your starting weight for the following workout of that particular type.

Be sure you keep a log too.

If your program is calling for a different number of reps, just make the adjustment from 5 to your number.
  • itztwin
    itztwin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For the first couple of worouts I would suggest moderate weight. Reasoning is you want to focus on the correct way for each exercise. Once you get use to it then go up in weight at that point you should be able to figure out a good weight to use. Good luck!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Make sure you log everything for starters...the first day you do a new exercise will set the bar for the weeks to come.

I'd suggest starting off at about half the weight you think you can handle of each exercise..then ramping/increasing it 2.5, 5 or even 10lbs each set. Til you get to pretty much your max.

Your leg exercises are gonna push more then your upper body. Everything in an akward position will probably be low-weights too.

Your first time through new exercises, be more concerned with form then amount you can lift. It's the safe way to go about it, you can always add more pounds in the sets/weeks to come.

Youtube any exercises you're unfamiliar with, to figure out the best and safest form.

Again, log it all, so next week when you hit the same bodyparts/exercise you can try increasing resistance/weight even more.

Good luck :)
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Experiment to find a good weight for you. Different exercises will require different weight. An appropriate weight is one where you can maintain good form for the entire set, but by the end it feels hard.