I need help!

Options
I have been doing so good at eating healthy and clean. I don't usually eat processed foods, sweets, or junk. These past few days, or maybe even a week, I've been doing soo bad! I had cookies and pickle wraps today, yesterday I had bacon wraps.
It's sooo hard living in this house because the family LOVES cooking and they have candy in bowls everywhere, cookies, nutterbutters, crackers with cheese dips, everything. It makes it soo difficult for me to eat clean. Any suggestions?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Allow yourself some of the treats? If you want them then you will give in eventually
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are craving bad sugar and bad fats. When you crave sugar, you are protein deficient. When you crave bad fats, you are EFA deficient. Try to use whey protein smoothies everday and take Omega 3-6. That should help with the cravings. This is what I do and you can put anything in front of me and I won't eat it. Not because of will power, I have no will power. The protein and EFA's help me.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    tell them to quit putting all that crap out! if kouzzz were standing in front of me tempting me, of course I am going to want him! but if I never see it, voila! no problem! lol
  • TwistedBanana
    Options
    Just know that the food is there and if you want/need to it you can easily get it, but just choose not to. Of course it's okay to eat once in a while....like this weekend my roomie came home with a bunch of mini halloween candies and I totally over ate them, but now I'm back to eating healthy the bag is still here I'm just choosing not to eat it. She also made brownies tonight (my absolute faaaavorite bad food) but I didn't take any of it! I try to be healthy 80% of the time and unhealthy 20% (: good luck!!
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Ask your family to support your efforts by backing off the junk food pit stops?
  • RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Log it all in MFP. That will encourage portion control. As you exercise and increase endurance and strength, you will probably want to look into logging toward certain nutrition goals according to your body's needs... protein, carbs, fats, etc.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    An option is factor them into your daily intake, which I don't feel is a reasonable one. It's too hard to eat only 2 or 3 pieces of junkfood, and you're quite possibly gonna over-indulge and be right back where you started.

For me, I found the best way is find out exactly what I'm craving (sweet, salty, pizza, chocolate...etc) and find a better/healthier version of it. For the most part, you can enjoy a smoothie with virtually any flavore desirable. Some 0-calorie sweetner, a banana, whey, cocoa, etc will give you a decent chocolate shake. Use your imaginations and things like apple, lemon, cinnamon, peanutbutter, mint extract and anything else to let yourself enjoy something that tastes like dessert.

There's also a variety of cookbooks that'll have healthier recipes for things like pasta, pizza, cookies, nachos and tons of other junk. (also on here, youll find plenty) ultimately I feel you're better off eating a fair amount of 'healthy' junkfood...then trying to eat a small amount of 'real' junkfood. If that makes any sense.

I figure most people can't control HOW MUCH of something they eat. Hence busting out a recipe that'll yield a lot of food, with tasty flavor, and generally lower calories, volumewise. So you can eat more, but not intake more calories.

Again, that's what works for me, if you can tell yourself 'eat only 10 M&Ms' go for it.

I can't.

Cause I know how well they melt in my mouth....not in my hand
  • Milaur
    Options
    I agree that you need to let yourself have a treat every now and then but I would also ask your family to support you by not having so many temptations out all the time. I like to have one splurge a week and am good the rest of the week. No one wants to feel like they CAN"T have something. I just think to myself that if I still want whatever it is I will have it Saturday. When Saturday comes if I still want it I will have it. No big deal and then I'm back on the wagon.
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back everyone, but they are only my inlaws and there are kids here, and they won't. They know I am on a diet/lifestyle change, but they are still going to eat and make what the want. I have been fine and haven't gave into these temptations for quite sometime. It just wasn't until recently I had gave in. I'd rather just not have any sweets at all, because I do better when I don't. Otherwise I'll just eat a TON of it.

Protein shakes seem to be really high in calories to me, and not worth it. I get 1300 calories a day and it seems like a waste (yes, I know candys a waste) Usually I eat 200-300 calorie meals5-7 times a day, and do fine. It's not that I crave the sweets, it's that it's there, and the smell is over whelming. I love bacon, and when they have 50+ bacon wraps, it's hard not to eat just one, same with pickle wraps and cookies